Combi Boiler Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2 times in the past year i have had the boiler man out to solve this situation and im not sure if im being fobbed off or not as it doesent make sense to me.

Boiler is an ideal logic combi 35.

Basically what happens is the boiler starts lighting and as soon as it kicks in it makes a horrendous groan (which you can hear upstairs) for about 2 seconds, then once its lit it goes quiet, until it relights again. Sometimes during this the boiler stops and comes up with the code for FLAME FAILURE. (F2)

Both times it kept doing it for a day so i got the boiler person out who basically said the condensate pipe was clogged, popped a hoover on and sucked all the **** out. Then the boiler works fine for about 4 months.

This has happened twice in the last year. Now its just happened again but i changed the boiler from E (according to the manual this is the temperature required for condensing mode) and put the temperature up to max for the heating.

Suddenly the noise has stopped and its been running fine for days, just makes a bit more sloshing noise (im assuming the water is a lot hotter so maybe bubbling a bit), so if the condensate pipe was clogged how could turning up the temperature suddenly fix it, makes no sense to me??

Sponsored Links
your condensate trap needs removing and flushing out properly not hoovered out as you call it

Need your condense pipe work sorting out , a service doesn't cover that so ask them to sort that and a service at the same time

Sponsored Links
your condensate trap needs removing and flushing out properly not hoovered out as you call it
Apparently he cant get to the bit required due to the way the pipework is, he said he can relocate the pipe to outside but ive been advised thats not ideal? The boilers been in for 4 years with no trouble.

Also do you know why taking it out of condensing mode has seemingly fixed this problem??

Apparently he cant get to the bit required due to the way the pipework is, he said he can relocate the pipe to outside but ive been advised thats not ideal? The boilers been in for 4 years with no trouble.
why is it not ideal ? do you think having him out regularly to hoover your pipes out is ideal ?

Also do you know why taking it out of condensing mode has seemingly fixed this problem??
fix the problem ;)

where is he hoovering the pipework from exactly? and where is the condense pipework terminating ?

Could also be flue doughnut problem, gas valve OOC or even dirty Venturi and injector or hex needing cleaned.

why is it not ideal ? do you think having him out regularly to hoover your pipes out is ideal ?

fix the problem ;)

where is he hoovering the pipework from exactly? and where is the condense pipework terminating ?
Because people say having it outside is even worse especially in winter with frost etc

If not in condensing mode then there is less ( if any ) water for the apparently defective condensate drain to dispose off.
So if i leave it in this mode is it possible i could have no issues for a long time?

So if i leave it in this mode is it possible i could have no issues for a long time?

You might not have similar problems.

You could have other problems, especially if the boiler is not designed to operate for prolonged periods in non condensing mode.. Gas consumption may be higher than it would be if the boiler was operating in condensing mode.

Because people say having it outside is even worse especially in winter with frost etc
If installed properly there won't be a problem ;),who are telling you that anyway? But hey keep getting the hoover out :), you keep finding a way around this problem when it can be easily sorted out

A picture of your condensing pipe work from boiler to termination would be a start to get sound advice which may includes a service to inspect the condense trap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back