Combi boiler knackered after 12 years?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am the long suffering owner of a Grant 90 Combi boiler. This has caused a right bit of trouble over the years and has its second pressure relief valve problem in a matter of months.

With the problem recurring so quickly, I called the guys back to sort it out. they have highlighted the fact that a valve at the base of the boiler is severely corroded (which i can confirm) and that the boiler is done and needs replaced!

If that is the case then i could give consideration to changing to gas but it seems odd that a boiler be beyond economical repair after such a short time (it was installed by the previous owner of my house). Could this be right?

Sponsored Links
Stay clear of combi's and fit a heat only boiler and cylinder.
My grant oil boiler is running about 12 years now without servicing. I've replaced the capacitor thus far.

It could need replacing, depends really on how well it was installed in the first place. In the last three weeks we've replaced two oil boilers, one six years old and one nine years old, both with knackered heat exchangers that were BER. One definitely had no corrosion inhibitor in the system whatsoever and I suspect the other didn't either, this is always going to lead to trouble. Could well be the same issue with yours, it's rusted out because there's no inhibitor there, hard to say without any pictures though, try posting some...

What other appliances do you have that are 12 years old and still working like new?

Sponsored Links
It could need replacing, depends really on how well it was installed in the first place. In the last three weeks we've replaced two oil boilers, one six years old and one nine years old, both with knackered heat exchangers that were BER. One definitely had no corrosion inhibitor in the system whatsoever and I suspect the other didn't either, this is always going to lead to trouble. Could well be the same issue with yours, it's rusted out because there's no inhibitor there, hard to say without any pictures though, try posting some...

Great reply muggles thanks....the general level of installation work in the house wasn't good.....I've had a look at the valve and will try to get a decent pic. It's not in good shape even to my uneducated eye!

What exactly is the problem?

Has the expansion vessel been properly checked?

They may just be angling for a proper job with a bit of profit in it!

Tony

Quote:-My grant oil boiler is running about 12 years now without servicing

That is something I wouldn't admit to :rolleyes:

As allready stated by Tony the expansion vessel needs checking. Reason being replacing the PRV in quick sucssession. Could be a matter of re-charging vessel or replacing the vessel. Life expectancy of a combi 10-15 years

As allready stated by Tony the expansion vessel needs checking. Reason being replacing the PRV in quick sucssession. Could be a matter of re-charging vessel or replacing the vessel. Life expectancy of a combi 10-15 years

The expansion vessel was replaced within the last two years......

that very much looks like a leak from the expansion vessel hose on to the boiler.

This boiler looks like it has at least another 10 or 12 years life left in it.

We have loads of problems with the expansion vessels on oil boiler failing quite quickly.

This is part caused by the design and the proximity to the heat exchanger which gets just too hot for the expansion vessel and it perishes the diapragm.

I often leave the old vessel in situ and fit another on the heating circuit elswhere in the house. Normally solves the problem and they are cheaper.

Unless the main exchanger is leaking on your boiler i would get it repaired but get someone else in who is prepared to rather than the change bits

that very much looks like a leak from the expansion vessel hose on to the boiler.

This boiler looks like it has at least another 10 or 12 years life left in it.

We have loads of problems with the expansion vessels on oil boiler failing quite quickly.

This is part caused by the design and the proximity to the heat exchanger which gets just too hot for the expansion vessel and it perishes the diapragm.

I often leave the old vessel in situ and fit another on the heating circuit elswhere in the house. Normally solves the problem and they are cheaper.

Unless the main exchanger is leaking on your boiler i would get it repaired but get someone else in who is prepared to rather than the change bits

Cheers snb......I think there was a new vessel put in just two yeats ago.....and of course there have been the two PRV failures in quick succesion. I also think they were concerned about that valve at the base falling apart if they touched it due to the extent of the corrosion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back