Combi Boiler - Manual or Program - best practice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

not sure if this has been covered and i'm sure there are many factors in determining what the best option is.

Is it more economical to keep the boiler on manual, set at say 18.5 - 19 or have it programmed to come on at certain times and the boiler has to work harder to reach the desired temp.

like i said, I know there will be many outside factors but was just wondering in general.

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
My mate keeps his at 12.. and turns it up when he comes in to 19 and back down as he goes out 365 days a year....where as i turn it off and on as i come and go and his bills are cheaper than mine. We both have same boiler and similar sized houses. And over the years most people tend to say it is cheaper to leave on constant but low .

Take a gas meter reading, then use one way for 2 weeks and take another reading.

Then run the heating the alternative method for another 2 weeks, read meter again and see what uses less.

Sponsored Links
The colder the inside of the house, the less heat it will loose to the outside, law of nature.
That means that when you turn the heating off during the day, the house will loose less heat.
Follow Dave’s suggestion, using the exact same settings during both periods to test, to make sure results are comparable, you will have to record outside day and night temperature, humidity and wind force meticulously.
As this is very hard to do, you should carry on recording 2 week periods worth of gas use for several months

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back