Combi Boiler Moaning Noises On Startup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Valiant combi-boiler makes an awful lot of noise whenever it starts up. The heating is fine, no other complaints, but it means I have to turn the heating off on winter nights to ensure a full night's sleep. I've been living with this for ages, as I've yet to find an answer online, and also because I am financially allergic to calling a technician. I thought I'd ask here for some general opinions before trying to talk to a technician (I'm living in The Netherlands, and while everyone here speaks English, I'd still prefer to have some ideas before going into the discussions).

The boiler is connected to a 4-hose in-floor central-heating system in a small ground-floor apartment. The system was three years old when I bought the apartment 5 years ago; the problem was noticeable from the first night.

Without resorting to musical notation, here's a description of the symptoms:

1. At the required room temperature, the system switches on.

2. Sound of a low hum that rises for about 5 seconds as the system "revs up", and the gas ignites.

3. After ±5 seconds, the hum and accompanying ignition noises return to the lower pitch as the ignition sequence "revs down".

4. This is followed by a series of much louder low moans from the boiler itself. The moans are a uniform pitch (somewhere around an octave below middle C), with a slow "throbbing" attack. Its tone sounds like someone is playing a trombone or, as another forum post described it, blowing over a large plastic milk jug. The period of each "throb" varies, as does the volume. Sometimes, the throbbing quickens, while its volume decreases, until all is still and quiet. At other times, the throbbing just slows down until all is quiet. The duration of this little concert varies as well, but it normally doesn't last more than 30 seconds or so.

5. It appears that the intensity and longevity of the noises are related to the temperature. If I've had the heat turned right down for a few days, and the room temperature is below 15°C, the moaning is positively otherworldly and it takes longer to quiet down. If I leave the thermostat at 21°C, and the room temperature merely drops enough to trigger the system, it is less noisy. (That said, it is certainly loud enough to wake me from my sleep at 3 in the morning, so I have to turn the thermostat way down each night to avoid being awakened.)

I have not read of too many others with the same problem, so I've only tried bleeding the system (for which, I'm afraid there are few guides online pertaining to an in-floor heating setup), and changing the speed of the pump motor. Neither of these have had any effect.

Perhaps I am not bleeding the system properly? I can't find any instructions for bleeding a 4-hose under-floor system, so if anyone can instruct me there, I'd appreciate it.

That said, the noise doesn't appear to be coming from the hoses or from the pump, but from the boiler itself. I've never been able to localize it any more precisely. While it seems like the whole unit is trumpeting, it could possibly be more intense from somewhere on the top right.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Could be a problem with the Burner causing resonation this would definately need a Good Gas Engineer as Premix burners arn't for DIY tinkering I'm afraid get some one in quickly as if the burner & front plate seals are failing the boiler could be a write off as a result!

P.S. as a ametuer musician I liked your musical description :p

While attempting to bleed the in-floor system—which, according to one source, requires bleeding each hose individually (even though there is only one bleed valve for all)—I made the mistake of "checking" a knob with a red plastic cap over it.

I know, I know; "Don't push the big red button!"

But in my defense, the whole system had released nothing but water (no air), and I thought I might find another point to shut off or adjust.

Anyway, I pushed the big red button releasing some water. It was a spring-loaded knob with a spigot below it. Could this have been an emergency relief valve? The kind that leaks ever-after if fiddled with?

Because now it's dripping. I've got a cake pan wedged in there now catching the water. Looks like I may have to call someone sooner than later.

Oops.
:confused:

Sponsored Links
yes this is a pressure relief valve, although in theory it should snap shut after turning it is very common for grit and debris to stop it fully sealing, you could reopen it to try and flush it but more than likely it will need replacing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back