Moaning CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Our CH/HW system has recently started 'moaning'. It's quite an eerie moaning rather than a screeching or grinding noise. It seems to be worst after the system has been on for 15-20 minutes from cold.
When it first started (just before Christmas) it was for 30 seconds or so and then it went away but lately it seems to be doing it most of the time that the boiler is on, albeit quietly. It seems to be coming from the boiler rather than the pipes but it's hard to tell as it resonates through the pipework. It seems to be loudest just after the HW zone valve opens or closes.
The system is pumped & vented, with seperate headers for the HW cylinder and the heating. There are two zone valves. The boiler is a Potterton Promax 24HE installed October 2004. The pump (Danfoss) is about a year old and sounds pretty normal.

I know it's difficult to diagnose noises without hearing them, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think I may have the answer!

In the last week or so the boiler has been cutting out after it's been on for any length of time. My investigations have found that the fan protection stat is cutting in and shutting down the boiler. The fan housing gets very hot to the touch. Noisy bearings could also be the cause of the moaning noise, correct?

To me this sounds like the fan is FUBAR. Does anyone agree with this diagnosis?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back