Combi boiler not holding pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Baxi boiler, just 2yrs old, won't hold any pressure. Put it up to pressure; have a shower and by the time I'm finished it is back down into the red. No obvs leaks anywhere. Any ideas what's going wrong?

It's apparently under 10 yr warranty. Would this be a conversation direct to Baxi or should I get the plumber back who installed it initially?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The warranty (providing the boiler was registered) will be with Baxi. Could be an expansion issue if your showers are long ones.

Baxi boiler, just 2yrs old, won't hold any pressure. Put it up to pressure; have a shower and by the time I'm finished it is back down into the red. No obvs leaks anywhere. Any ideas what's going wrong?

It's apparently under 10 yr warranty. Would this be a conversation direct to Baxi or should I get the plumber back who installed it initially?

Thanks
what does your signed contract you have with the plumber say? only kidding, of course you don't have a contract
The concepts of warranties and guarantees are outside of your legal consumer protections, these are simply add-ons, nice things to have.
Is the product you have purchased expected to last for more than 2 years?
Is the product "fitness for purpose" predicated on the installation process i.e. the plumber? well kind of, could be.
Next question...who was the seller? was it baxi or was it the plumber?....look at your invoice and contract terms...oh forgot, you don't have any so you now must rely of "presumed" terms.
If the plumber won't come back then you have to suck it up and start again....ps get a contract this time...not difficult to create but saves all of this hassle

if pressure dropping when using HW only you have a leak, nothing to do with your Baxi warranty, that boiler does not need expansion when running HW only, if you call Baxi out under warranty they are well within their rights to charge you for the call out, expansion only becomes a problem when you are running the CH

Sponsored Links
what does your signed contract you have with the plumber say? only kidding, of course you don't have a contract
The concepts of warranties and guarantees are outside of your legal consumer protections, these are simply add-ons, nice things to have.
Is the product you have purchased expected to last for more than 2 years?
Is the product "fitness for purpose" predicated on the installation process i.e. the plumber? well kind of, could be.
Next question...who was the seller? was it baxi or was it the plumber?....look at your invoice and contract terms...oh forgot, you don't have any so you now must rely of "presumed" terms.
If the plumber won't come back then you have to suck it up and start again....ps get a contract this time...not difficult to create but saves all of this hassle
Yeah. Unfortunately the original plumber seems to have gone awol. Bigger fish to fry it seems :(

if pressure dropping when using HW only you have a leak, nothing to do with your Baxi warranty, that boiler does not need expansion when running HW only, if you call Baxi out under warranty they are well within their rights to charge you for the call out, expansion only becomes a problem when you are running the CH
Thanks. Very useful to know. Time to search for a HW leak then by the sound of it.

Thanks. Very useful to know. Time to search for a HW leak then by the sound of it.
you do not have a HW leak as you call it, the water that comes out of your taps/shower and the water that is in your radiators never meet unless you have a problem which your symtoms are not that problem, you have a leak on your primary water system

you do not have a HW leak as you call it, the water that comes out of your taps/shower and the water that is in your radiators never meet unless you have a problem which your symtoms are not that problem, you have a leak on your primary water system
Which bit is the Primary system? Presumably, mains water in, around heat exchanger and then out? I've no knowledge in these things tbh. Would water be dumping out the overflow or do we see a puddle somewhere? Cheers

The primary circuit is the water that runs around the central heating radiators and boiler. It's sealed and pressurised,and does not mix with the cold water that runs through a seperate circuit ,where it gets heated and comes out the boiler to hot taps.
Does your pressure drop when central heating has been used ?

The primary circuit is the water that runs around the central heating radiators and boiler. It's sealed and pressurised,and does not mix with the cold water that runs through a seperate circuit ,where it gets heated and comes out the boiler to hot taps.
Does your pressure drop when central heating has been used ?
Tbh it's in a tenanted property. I asked the same question to her but got a very vague response. She said that they hadn't been using the heating do didn't know either way.

She says it happens when she uses the shower. Would this be a red-herring then?

Would this suggest that we definately have a leak in the heating system then? Or, could it be something to do with it boiling and expanding out the overflow or something?

Cant be both, tell the truth and you will get a proper response
Silly comment. What the heck difference does it make to the way the boiler is working?
I hold back because many people don't like Landlords, thinking that we are rolling in it, milking off poorer people. The truth is far from it.
Sadly, you've just confirmed my beliefs.

Last edited:
explain how the diaphragm switch over when in DHW mode causes a leak in a pipe. A hole in a pipe will let water out regardless of temp.
As for your expansion vessel theory, lets put that to the test using simple maths:
by what percentage (increase in volume) does 1lt of water increase by when its raised to 65 degrees centigrade?

Yeah. Unfortunately the original plumber seems to have gone awol. Bigger fish to fry it seems :(
And this demonstrates perfectly the need for buying expensive kit under your own name and having a plumber fit it for you. Either than or spend a few quid and take them to small claims and destroy their credit rating so they can't do it again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back