Combi boiler pressure question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a baxi potterton Combi boiler. Just noticed that the pressure was low in the red and I can swear I last topped up a week or two ago. Before that I didn't top up for about a year it was fine. But now since my last top-up I noticed it went low again in the red. As soon as I turn central heating on the boiler pressure rises considerably. Few years back I had similar issue and baxi changed the pressure relieve valve. Wondering has this gone again? Is there a way to test it?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like expansion vessel, however to access this on your boiler will need to be done by a suitably qualified engineer - gas safe registered as it involves access behind the combustion circuit and will need 26.9 checks to be carried out.

As others have said the expansion vessel needs checked/pressurising, this should be done during the annual service but very seldom is

Sponsored Links
Thank you. Booked in a service engineer to come and look at it. I requested a service too. What does a boiler service actually include?

So I've had the expansion vessel checked and re-pressurized. Apparently it's quite normal for the balloon like vessel to deflate and have these issues. Seems to be ok now. But when boiler is on and heating has been on for a while the pressure does increase a bit compared to what the pressure is when the boiler is idle. Is that normal? When boiler is off it's at about 1.5 and when heating turns on it goes to about 2 and when it cools down the back to original place.

Yes water expands as it heats, so it’s normal.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back