combi boiler not used for 9 months

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my compact low pressure combi boiler has not been used to heat water or radiators for nearly nine months and I want to check the steps and tests needed to get it up and running again.

It was drained because the filling valve was not closed properly and pressure relief pipe leaked water. From the FAQs I can see that the pressure relief valve will need to be replaced. Are these the steps I need to take to start heating water and radiators again?

-Put the thermostat up to say 25 degrees celsius to check test the heating.
-Repressurise boiler to say 1.5 bars

To check the pump:
-With the power to the combi boiler on, check the supply voltage at the pump terminals (should be 230v on live and neutral).
-While the power to the combi boiler is off, use multimeter to check that the earth wire and pump are electrically connected.
-While the power is off, check has the rotor seized because of sludge/scale/rust by removing vent plug and rotating the shaft with a screwdriver to dislodge some of the gunk. If it is hard to spin, will probably need a new pump or pump head.
-While the power is off, remove the live, neutral and earth wires from the pump terminal and use a test lead connected to a 3 amp plug to check does the pump run and then unplug test plug. supply.
-if the pump does not run, with the power off, check have the motor windings burn out by checking the resistance across the terminals (with the wires out), ok if between 120-200 ohms, otherwise windings are burnt out and pump/pump head will have to be replaced.

I want to check is the pump working so the parts can be ordered before the service as this may take some weeks (chattofeaux maury minima mx2 gas condensed combination boiler).

I would appreciate any input in case have them wrong.
Thanks
Reilly

Sponsored Links
Well the first two lines are in the wrong sequence!

Why not get a GasSafe engineer to check and rectify any faults? - whilst the pump may have suffered from lack of use there are other parts which may need attention as well. A flue gas analysis would be a good idea as part of the process.

Almost certainly the pump will have seized but in most cases they can be easily freed up by rotating the shaft.

Certainly should be checked and serviced by a gas registered engineer.

Tony

Sponsored Links
thanks will do just wanted to check pump correctly so the parts can be ordered in advance of the service as I have been told the parts for this boiler are very hard to get. Thanks for the flue gas analysis tip.

many thanks for your help, will get a service but wanted to order the parts (pump, pressure relief valve, relay valve) in advance as I have been told they are very hard to get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back