firebird combi 90

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help?-I have a firebird oil fired combi 90 and at first it stopped working for heating,checked the pump and it had no power going to it when the heating should have been on so I presumed the pump was ok. The hot water was heating up ok and the pump for the hot water was running. I have a relative who works with heating but he lives a long way away so I asked his advice on the phone and he said the flow switch could be faulty and to disconnect it but the fault was still there. This was yesterday but today the fault seems to have worsened in that I have no heating but now the boiler has stopped firing for hot water as well-the hot water pump runs as soon as you turn the boiler on but the boiler doesnt fire or even spin-the only thing that happens is the pump runs. My relative told me where to check the overheat stats and they seemed to be ok and not tripped. One thing I did notice today while testing with my meter is that no power is going from the top of the boiler down to the burner-can anyone help with this? Trying to save calling out an engineer to save some money as funds are pretty low at the moment.

Sponsored Links
I doubt that you are going to be able to deal with it yourself.

It would seem to me to be most likely that there has been a progressive electronic fault affecting the control circuits.

Its a pity that you did not follow the clue and investigate this further when you found there was no power being sent to the heating pump at first.

Tony

If you have a meter, and a manual, you should be able to see where the power is stopping. If you can't do this, you will need someone who can. Be aware though, many boiler service people don't have a meter, and those that do, and can use them, are just as rare.

There is a relay on this boiler-in the electrical control box towards the right hand side I think,if you cant find where the electrical fault ends-it maybe within this relay-just a pull out and plug in job on the lat one I did so you could change it yourself if you wanted to-just BE CAREFUL with the electrics.

Sponsored Links
The first meter is a "VU" meter as used in the US for audio applications and gaining popularity over here. It reads an average audio power level.

The BBC considered a Peak Program Meter ( PPM ) as more relevant as it enables the SM to control the signal source within the distribution network operational parameters giving a more faithful dynamic amplitude reproduction.

There was a song "Anyone who had a heart" which sounded as it got much louder but in reality it was just being clipped to a square wave and the PPM would read exactly the same.

The PPM was set to read to "4" and peak to the maximum of "8". Radio 3 seems to prefer to use about "3" and keep the maximum for the 1812 !

Fancy you knowing all about that Wilhelm !

tony
don't try and educate the dipsick he is halfway down that tank of 45 sec kero he found this morning :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

or should that be 28 couldn't count at the rate it was going down ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back