Firebird c26 combi lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I need some advice, we have a Firebird external combi which lockout after running on water only for 4 minutes, runs fine on heating, thought it might be the water thermistor but having swapped over with the heating thermistor fault is still present, pump runs ok burner fires without fault but still lockout after 4-5 minutes, can anyone help, does the water high temp stat which I presume is on the PCB also fail as lockout ?

Sponsored Links
Hi it's a riello burner works fine on Ch but locks out on water after 4 minutes, just checked continuity on pressure switch which seems to be dropping out

Sponsored Links
Thought it might be pressure switch but bypassed and had same result, runs for 4-5 mins on water then shuts down, lockout light appears a few minutes later, reset button flashes red continually, ran on heating without fault, running out of ideas, ordered flow switch just in case but not certain, voltage doesn't line up with advised voltage for temperature

Scratching my head then, as usually the only thing that puts a burner to lockout is flame failure, but why it should only happen on DHW and not heating, I can't think. Some Stanley balanced flue cookers had the pressure switch wired through the P/cell circuit which caused lockout, but I don't think that the Firebird has anything like that. It might be worth having a word with Firebird, but I can't see how the PCB would cause lockout, as it only supplies power to the burner. I suppose that if that power stuttered, the Riello box may throw a wobbly with fluctuating voltage. I've seen that with Satronic boxes with low voltage.

O wondered if the high limit for the water on the PCB would cause fault but can't identify it, ran it on heating for over 30 minutes without fault but as soon as it runs on water it fires without fault and shuts down offer 4 minutes the fan runs for about 30 seconds and 2-3 minutes later it shows as lockout, won't reset all the time and last night it sounded as though the water was boiling in the pump but it has done that today, just locking out with a constant flashing red button, trying to find number for Firebird technical

The pressure switch interrupts the switch live to burner.
The burner responds the same on heating or H/w demand.
Stop fixating that it is only a fault on h/w demand. The burner does not know what it is heating . It fires on demand when there is a supply on s/l.

Yep thanks, worked that one out, not leaving heating to run long enough to prove, have ordered correct or cell as original one ordered wasn't correct, will test further once replaced .

Does extraneous light during post purge mean that the burner is still lit or is it a fault with the pe cell?

If extraneous light is causing the problem, then it is reasonable to assume that the fault would occur on both heating and hot water. If, as the OP says it happens on HW only, and he now says it sounds like the pump is boiling, and the fault has stayed the same with the thermistor swapped, then it is probable that the problem is with the boiler rather than the burner. If the pump is not moving the primary water sufficiently, then it may be that the pcb is rapidly cycling on/off which would cause the control box to lock out. Remember, this boiler has 2 pumps.

I believe it is a fault on both heating and water just I hadn't run it long enough on heating, I have now found that the fault occurs at the end of the post purge sequence after the water temperature has been reached, spoken to Firebird today and they have advised either pe cell or burner control box.

The dreaded digital Riello box strikes again. No wonder Firebird are ditching them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back