Combi Boiler Pressure dropping - no visible leaks

Sponsored Links
I have the manual if you send me an e in my profile (delete the white space)

Thanks guys.

I have the manual and it seems like there is a leak on the ground floor somewhere.

My hall is literally2ft long as you walk in the frotn door and then it's the open plan living room and stairs/upstairs hall.

I have a sneaky feeling that the leak may be in the kitchen (where the boiler is) as that radiator doesn't heat up very much.

This means I need to lift floorboards - ARRRGGGHHH!!!

Let it all go cold the run your finger around all the fittings, especially the rad valves, pull the lockshield caps off and check the packing glands.

Sponsored Links
Again if there is no visable leaks above floor level then try under the floor! Only place left to check Im afraid as Im sure after all the past posts you have already checked all fittings and valves above floor level.

With the amount of water your losing it shouldnt be too hard to find as the area affected will more than likely be very damp if not soaking wet!!

Good luck with it!

Kev

I think if nothing is visible, he needs to go back to the landlord.

I would not rule out the PRV too quickly just because its bone dry when you examined it.
Best to secure a plastic bag on the end and see if it catches any water over the period of pressure loss.

Thanks guys.

I think i'll try the plastic bag over the PRV tonight and if that fails, it's the floorboards!

Maybe the easiest way to detect which pipes would be to close all of the radiators, then open them one at a time whilst putting the heating on for, say, half an hour then letting it cool and seeing if the pressure drops? This might be the easiest way to detect which pipes are leaking?

I'll post my results!

Thanks again for your help.

You check when everything is cold, putting the heating on for half an hour will do nothing.

Lets assume a rad valve is weeping, when the heat comes on it dries it out, it goes off it weeps again, in and endless cycle.

I think this post has had the a*se ripped out it now guys! The tenant knows what he has to do now and what it may be so there is no need for people to try and out do one another and try and be top dog, lets just hope he finds it after the advice and leave it at that eh???

Kev

I think if nothing is visible, he needs to go back to the landlord.

Should have just done this in the first place.

He's now messed about with somebody else's system and is now likely to be blamed for any rectification costs whether he caused them or not!

It sounds like it is a cheap crappy boiler that was not installed too well either.

Hi Guys.

Boiler make is Halstead Ace High N.G.

That made me smile!

I assume that you're telling me I have a crappy boiler? Be nice if you just come out and said it! I do need to know, afterall!

Thanks for ALL of your posts as they are all helpful in one way or another in getting me to a resolution. The radiator valves 'weeped' and now that they no longer weep (because I replaced them) the water seems to have found another escape route as it does!

I'll check the PRV tonight and, if nothing then I think I'll phone a plumber my mother used a few years ago to fit her new heating system - he was reliable and did a good job - I can't be f***ing about with this forever and don't want to rip-up floorboards only to find it's something I've missed! He doesn't charge for call-out so could be the best way to check.

Thanks again for all of the responses - I'll let you know the outcome!

Maybe the easiest way to detect which pipes would be to close all of the radiators, then open them one at a time whilst putting the heating on for, say, half an hour then letting it cool and seeing if the pressure drops?

That will not tell you anything about the state of the pipes.

My remark about you boiler was a guess based on your description, before you mentioned the halstead; my guess was correct at least as far as the boiler is concerned. I can't say for sure what the quality of the installation is without seeing it, but poor quality boilers and poor workmanship often go hand in hand.

Hi,

I was not having a go - I just wanted to know if you were saying it was a poor quality boiler - you still haven't told me! Is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back