Combi Boiler Pressure dropping - no visible leaks

...my guess was correct at least as far as the boiler is concerned...
In other words: the boiler is not exactly top notch.
Just trying to be polite; another way of phrasing it politically correct would be: your boiler is not amongst the best ever made.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys.

New development: I was in the toilet upstairs last night and heard what i though was a drip under the floor - it sounded like a drip onto an empty pipe (that's prbably not what it is but that's what it sounded like!). So, I decided to close both valves on the toilet radiator just to satisfy my curiosity and, low and behold, the pressure remained at exactly 1.5 Bar!! From 21:30 last night until i left this morning at 7:10 - no change!

I am getting a friend-of-a-friend plumber out tonight to investigate but it would seem to me that the leak is most likely in the return pipe from the toilet radiator as, if it was in the flow pipe then the leak to still be there (i.e. the hot water still runs through the pipe but stops at the closed valve) but if there's no water returning to the boiler - there is no leak from the return pipe?

I also still have no signs of water in my ceiling which leads me to think that the leak is in the vertical pipework in the kitchen which is boxed-in next to the boiler and I wouldn't see any water as it is boxed in within the bottom cupboard next to the sink. Interestingly, that cupboard also smells damp!!

If you've closed both valves on the toilet radiator and it has stopped the drop in pressure then the leak must be in the section you've closed off, which is the toilet radiator, wouldn't you agree?

Being totally honest it doesnt matter what rad u turn off as by turning both valves off at the radiator only isolates that actual rad not the pipework attached to it!!!

If its holding at that pressure when that rad is isolated then the leak must be in the rad itself or where the valves connect to the rad!!!

Kev

Sponsored Links
Yes, sorry i don't think i've explained properly.

I'm thinking that a flow pipe runs from the boiler around the house and a pipe branches off this pipe at each radiator. A separate return pipe runs from each radiator back to the boiler to be heated again?

This would mean that there is water in the flow pipe running into the radiator (but not in the radiator as the valve is shut) and no water in the return pipe running out of the radiator because that valve is shut?

This must mean that the leak is somewhere in the return pipe from the toilet radiator beack to the boiler?

Yes, sorry i don't think i've explained properly.

I'm thinking that a flow pipe runs from the boiler around the house and a pipe branches off this pipe at each radiator. A separate return pipe runs from each radiator back to the boiler to be heated again?

This would mean that there is water in the flow pipe running into the radiator (but not in the radiator as the valve is shut) and no water in the return pipe running out of the radiator because that valve is shut?

This must mean that the leak is somewhere in the return pipe from the toilet radiator beack to the boiler?

No sorry you have the idea of the system rite but the return pipe is still pressurised no matter what rad valve you turn off!

By closing the rad valve at each side of the rad all your doing is isolating the rad itself!

The return pipework is still under pressure through the boiler!

Kev

Ah! Okay, thank you.

Think i'll wait for this plumber and take it from there.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Update:

Boiler has been installed by cowboys! Problem with expansion vessel; flue has been installed at an angle (to avoid pipes on it's way through the wall) and two pieces of pipe have been used (secured with silver tape!!!).

There are various other problems with it.

So........the boiler has been Condemned and I need a new one sharpish!!!

Thanks for all of your help but it's now time to let the professionals at it!

Final update!

I had the Halstead engineer out as the boiler was still under warranty and he replaced the PRV and recharged the expansion vessel. He also laughed at condemning the boiler (this was a supposed friend-of-a-friend plumber looking for work!).

The pressure was still dropping and I located two problems;

- The bathroom radiator valve was a little loose - tightened it and that sorted that one
- I discovered a leak in the hall radiator - the return pipe was not sealed properly at the valve as the last inch or so of the pipe was slightly thinner that the rest of the pipe (perhaps to the previous valve was a little tight-fitting?) and the olive was not forming the seal required - so i cut this part off with a hacksaw, replaced the olive and hey presto - it worked.

I am now not losing any pressure - WOOHOO!!!

Thanks again to everyone for all of your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back