Combi Boiler Pressure Rising

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an oldish combi boiler, non-condensing, Alpha CB 24x. Recently the pressure has been rising and the PRV leaking outside. Even with heating not in use it still rises to the max. Sometimes it drops back to midway and sometimes it remains at max pressure, without intervention either way.

The first time I noticed the problem I bled a radiator, disconnected the filling loop (left it disconnected) and the pressure was down to 1, but within a day it was back up again. Heating and hot water both otherwise working fine. Any ideas before we get the plumber round? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Abnormal pressure readings on combis are usually down to a lack of expansion vessel charge or blocked communication pipe, or possibly a plate heat exchanger passing internally. Easy to diagnose. Read FAQ's on Exp vessels.

I would be firstly checking the expansion vessel, if it rises when heating on. If not as the filling loop is disconnected i would look at the plate heat exchanger passing.

Sponsored Links
Just to add that, bizarrely, after the heating has been on the last hour and now cooled down again, pressure has dropped to 1.5. It will now rise to 3 slowly even though heating not in use. Can't understand why the pressure falls after heating on, although the PRV gushes like a tap!

Turn the cold water main off if the pressure stops rising then you know its the plate passing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back