Combi Boiler Problem [Sorted]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vokera Combi Boiler in my flat which is not heating the radiators or water properly, luke warm radiators an no hot water at all.

I've had the Scottish Hydro engineer out to fix it and so far he's replaced the circuit board a gas valve and one of two thermostats, he's coming back today to change the second thermostat.

Everything he's done so far hasn't made any difference and he's admitted he's stumped. Is he missing something obvious as the boiler seems to be running ok, it just won't heat adequately. Also noticed the pump sounds a bit noisier than usual but he says he's checked it and it's running properly.

Any help much appreciated.

Alan

Sponsored Links
There are so many "simple" things it could be, we can't really make useful guesses, especially when we don't know what boiler it is.

I would want to start with the real basics, checking the working pressure at the meter and the burner pressures at the boiler, then work up to diagnosing faulty components.

Sponsored Links
7 days of trying and Scottish Hydro finally sorted the problem

A faulty governor on the gas meter so basically not enough gas to the boiler, was only reading 2 millibars should have be 30 apparently.

Good shout from gas4you spot on with your diagnosis. Thanks Dave.

They should have diagnosed this first visit, but instead they replaced the the pcb the gas valve and a thermostat on a boiler that wasn't faulty to begin with, before they thought to check the pressure. I've heating and hot water for the first time in a week yeehaa.

Alan

I sometimes diagnose that on the phone by asking the customer if the cooker is OK when the boiler is running.

Measuring the working pressure at the boiler input is the first and most basic test but its surprising just how many people dont bother!

I went to a boiler where the repairer has wasted three afternoons and changed the gas valve all because he did not measure the WP when the boiler was trying to fire up!

It turned out to be a card meter with no credit which was leaking enough gas through it to run a single hob burner.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back