Combi boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Got a slight problem with my Ideal combi boiler. It was woking fine on Tuesday night until on Wednesday morning i went to put the heating on and the it made a weird noise and flashed up a fault code L F.

I have tried resetting it and it still ends up with the same fault code. I noticed the pressure was pretty low so i have topped that up to around 2bar. When you reset the boiler to fire back up there is a banging noise from inside then the pressure gauge with shoot up then come straight back down.

The boiler is a Ideal ISAR HE. Anyone got any ideas?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your quick reply. How would i go about checking them? I following the white plastic pipe which runs outside and can not see any problems with it.

There is also a clicking noise from the front display panel.

What do you class as a low pressure?

The prv is the pressure relief. Make sure the pipe going outside is dry.
Is the pressure holding with the system turned off?

If you got a leak you could well have air in the system which could cause an airlock in the pump stopping the water from circulating and causing the boiler to litteraly boil the water in the heat exchanger.

You could try checking the automatic air vent on the boiler you have one. beading the pump and monitoring the pressure.

Sponsored Links
The pressure was down 0.4bar. I upped it to around 2bar and it has not moved since. I can follow the pipe outside and it looks fine but just spoke to Ideal who have said it might be frozen or blocked but never said how i could get into it to check.

Behind the front panel there is a black plastic hex which when opened a little water comes out but not straight away so i think there must be air in the system.

Vent the pump, check the aav cap is loosened (not fully scrwed/tight on),

question to gblades?
if the system pressure rises with the boiler on or off, what difference what that make?

a blocked condense (the white pipe) would stall the boiler but would not cause banging
the likely causes are stuck pump, auto air vent closed(on top of pump), a blockage in the plate heat exchanger or a stuck diverter cartridge
the last 2 go hand in hand if the system it is fitted to is dirty.

Thank you all for your replies just wish i could understand what you all mean.

So am i best off taking off what you have mentioned and checking for dirt etc and making sure everything is moving freely?

Thank you all for your replies just wish i could understand what you all mean.

So am i best off taking off what you have mentioned and checking for dirt etc and making sure everything is moving freely?

personally i would recommend a fixed fee repair from the clowns in hull as get it wrong which sadly you most likely will (crap design rather than your fault) will cost you a board at least £160 plus Vat at least!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back