Combi Boiler Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just thought I'd post asking for peoples opinion on my boiler heating problem, the combi boiler is a Procombi A32 which I think is made by Vokera, its about 8 years old.

Anyway the boiler issue appeared its ugly head about 3 weeks ago when the weather was still freezing outside. Returned home from work, the Mrs had the heating on during the day as normal and I noticed the heating wasn't working when I got home. I checked the boiler to notice the pressure at zero, red light of death (led) illuminated and error 52 flashing on boiler, manual states error 52 call engineer (great help I know). I filled the system back up to usual pressure, had a shower everything seemed fine for a few hours but then it crapped out again, and pressure back to zero. This continued every time the heating was turned on, the pressure would rise too high, obviously the boiler was dumping outside when the pressure got above 3 bar which was causing the pressure to plummet back to zero. My brother and friend both gas safe had a look but they aren't boiler repair guys, they suspected that the expansion vessel was shot.

The boiler is currently working fine on just hot water, but with the heating off, obviously the weather has changed since though and doesn't get below freezing, not sure if that's a factor (I checked the condense pipe initially which is based inside the property, I also ruled that out by placing it in to a bucket).

Now I'm no expert on plumbing, electrics are more my area, but I thought I would slightly press the valve on the top of the pressure vessel to see weather air or water came out, air did, now if the expansion vessel is shot should that happen? or should it be filled with water? I'm guessing that there would still be air in there even if the diaphragm is shot as the air has no where to go?

The reason for asking is that I read another post where someone mentioned their flexi pipe to the vessel being blocked, which I'm guessing would cause the problem I'm experiencing and the vessel could be fine, obviously I need to fix the issue but don't want to replace the vessel unnecessarily.

I'm planning on checking the pressure in the vessel with a pressure gauge, if the pressure is fine, then would that indicate a blockage, or could there be something else faulty? stuck valve or something?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You don’t check the expansion vessel by pressing in the pin, or connecting a gauge when pressurised. You have an expansion issue either vessel flat (or near as damn it) or communication pipe/hose.

Last edited:
Hi Chris, thanks for the reply, did say plumbing isn’t my thing . So it’s either a blockage in the flexi pipe or the vessel itself if the pipe is fine?

Yes, and it should be re-charged (pumped) up on a service.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back