Combi boiler problems

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Small pair of grips , it's a bit of a pig to get to as condense trap in the way

Looks like it's sorted, touch wood. Emptied the boiler and repressurised expansion vessel to 1 bar. Switched it all on and pressure rose to 2.3 bar with all rads on full belt. Now with system cooling seems to be settling at the 1 bar mark.
Just wondering if no further options would it be best to add some chemicals to the system due to the fact that with all the bleeding, draining and filling am sure if any was already in the system, this must have disappeared.

Would you replace the PRV also?

I would replace the prv as they usually don't sit right after , also use some fernox tf1 to protect system

Give it a few days and keep bag over discharge pipe. If it lets by, then replace it. It's not like you have to do a return visit cos you live there! :D

Give it a few days and keep bag over discharge pipe. If it lets by, then replace it. It's not like you have to do a return visit cos you live there! :D

Thanks dilalio, danstace20 and all others who chipped in. Appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Memphis, Not wishing to rain on your parade or anything, but do I see a ducted fan outlet discharging within a few millimetres of the boiler flue terminal?, not to the manufacturers installation instructions.
Potential for the burnt gases to make their way back into the property under certain conditions. I am sure any Gas Installer working on the appliance will have noted this and advised you accordingly.

Memphis, Not wishing to rain on your parade or anything, but do I see a ducted fan outlet discharging within a few millimetres of the boiler flue terminal?, not to the manufacturers installation instructions.
Potential for the burnt gases to make their way back into the property under certain conditions. I am sure any Gas Installer working on the appliance will have noted this and advised you accordingly.

Yes. The flue from the cooker goes adjacent to the boiler flue. The boiler flue has been extended some distance outside and up and away from the other flue. It was mentioned when we bought the place and had it checked and all was deemed ok.

Looks like it's sorted, touch wood. Emptied the boiler and repressurised expansion vessel to 1 bar. Switched it all on and pressure rose to 2.3 bar with all rads on full belt. Now with system cooling seems to be settling at the 1 bar mark.

Rising from 1.0 bar to 2.3 bar means the EXV is not absorbing the expansion properly. [ Or you have about 30 radiators on your system ]

Should only rise about 0.3 bar in a typical system

Tony

Rising from 1.0 bar to 2.3 bar means the EXV is not absorbing the expansion properly. [ Or you have about 30 radiators on your system ]

Should only rise about 0.3 bar in a typical system

Tony

I was playing about with the tvrs on the rads when the heating was on as the ones upstairs are only set to 2 and wanted to see how it would handle it.

Gonna give it a few days and if it starts misbehaving will get a rgi out to have a look at it. Don't mind getting my hands dirty but don't want to get in too deep lol

TRV setting should make absolutely no difference to expansion on a system because the rads are still connected through the lock shield valve.

Tony

TRV setting should make absolutely no difference to expansion on a system because the rads are still connected through the lock shield valve.

Tony
Tony. Just switched system on again from cold and been running it for about 35mins. Temperature indicated is 80 degrees and has settled at 1.6 bar from 1.1 bar cold. Is this acceptable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back