Combi Boiler providing hot water but no heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I have a problem with my Baxi Combi 105 HE boiler. I think I know what the problem is but I'd really like to run it by some more knowledgeable folk before I commit to it.

There is always plentiful hot water, but the radiators do not come on. The hot water demand light is always on, the radiator demand light is never on. I have a short term fix for this, which is as follows: Whilst looking at the indicator lights on the panel, I run the hot water tap and watch the red, temperature indicator lights start to go out. When 2 or 3 of the lights have gone out and the flame light comes on I turn the hot water tap off and, lo and behold, the radiator demand light comes on and the heating comes on.

It is my belief that this is caused by a dodgy diverter valve. My plan is to buy a diverter valve servicing kit, remove the valve, service and clean it, and replace it.

Does this sound like a sensible diagnosis and solution? Is this likely to solve the problem? Is there anything else that could be causing this problem?

(Also is this a particularly difficult thing to do? I am not a plumber or heating engineer, but I am generally pretty handy. I'm an electrical/electronic design engineer and I build a lot of prototype equipment, I do my own electrics and minor plumbing work and any random bits of DIY around the house.)

Sponsored Links
How do you control your central heating ?

It could be a dodgy room thermostat.

I have a remote control thermostat, but that seems fine. When I do the trick with the running water, the temp control on the thermostat seems to work fine

I have a remote control thermostat, but that seems fine. When I do the trick with the running water, the temp control on the thermostat seems to work fine

But the remote control thermostat should be providing the demand to the boiler.

Have you changed the batteries ?

Sponsored Links
I haven't, no, and I will give that a try, but I don't think that's the problem. The heating starts and stops working based on the flow of hot water, with no change to the operation of the thermostat. I would expect that if the thermostat was failing to communicate with the boiler, then the heating would stay off regardless of what I did with the hot water taps.

Still, it's a cheap fix to try, so I will swap them out and see what happens

remove the front cover and on the bottom left hand side you will see the diverter valve, on the large diaphragm housing at the front, there is a micr-switch that tells the boiler that a hot tap is running, make sure the pin is retracting properly when the hot tap is closed, and that the micro switch is breaking.

Thanks Ian, I'm at work now but I'll take a look at that this evening. If the pin is not retracting properly is that indicative of a faulty diverter valve? In this case should it be cleaned/serviced or replaced?

Thanks
Tom

Thanks Ian, I'm at work now but I'll take a look at that this evening. If the pin is not retracting properly is that indicative of a faulty diverter valve? In this case should it be cleaned/serviced or replaced?

Thanks
Tom
yes it can be, can also be caused by a dripping HW tap or a leak, if the pin is indeed sticking, isolate the cold water inlet under the boiler, if the pin still sticks the DV needs servicing, if it now retracts with the cold water isolated it is a leak or a dripping tap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back