Combi boiler with hot water tank - is this odd?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just moved into a house where the heating system seems a little unconventional. We have a Viessmann Vitodens 100W boiler (which I believe is a combi type) controlled by Hive.

The bit I'm finding weird is that we also have a hot water cylinder. When the heating is off and the cylinder is not being heated the boiler is essentially off (nothing on the screen). It only comes to life when hive decides to heat the hot water cylinder or radiators. All of the hot water taps are fed from the cylinder, not the boiler, pressure in the upstairs hot taps is poor except in the main bathroom where the shower, bath and basin have a pumped supply.

When the boiler is running it shows the central heating symbol regardless of whether it is heating the hot water or radiators, I think there is a diverter valve in the airing cupboard that actually switches the water circuits. Is it normal to set up a heating systems in this way? It looks as if the hot water on-demand aspect of the boiler just hasn't been used and the heating circuit is doing everything.

We had a combi in our previous house and it used to overrun for a few seconds, I guess for its own safety. Our current boiler switches off the moment Hive decides it's not needed. We have hot water and central heating so mustn't complain but I'd like to know if the installation is a bit of a bodge and whether to expect any problems in the future.

Thanks,

Tesh

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ian, would you say that it switching off completely the moment the thermostat decides that neither hot water or central heating are needed is normal behaviour. When this happens the boiler doesn't get a chance to overrun and the screen goes blank immediately.

Thanks,

Tesh

Sponsored Links
No the display shouldnt go blank , the boiler should have a permanent live that contols fan/pump over run function if required, also operates the frost protection within the boiler, sounds like this has not been fitted and the boiler is only getting power via the switched live terminals from external controls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back