Combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi new to this site would appreciate any advice. Have just bought new (to me) house and I need to replace the central heating. Thinking of getting a combi boiler prices differ wildly appreciate more expensive better quality but can any one recommend a good quality budget priced one poss. under a grand. Thank you. Ps is a clean system a brand new system.

Sponsored Links
This topic comes up all the time, and there are plenty of characters out there who will rant and rave, for and against.

The first consideration is the dynamic flowrate from your cold main. The main is the only source of water for all taps, hot and cold, and loo cisterns. This consideration also applies to unvented cylinders.

Secondly, the question is, do you like a combi? Some do, some don't. There are many millions of them out there, and good quality modern ones, properly installed, are highly reliable, and should last for many years. The very best ones have a five year warranty and a high quality heat exchanger. They will give you an excellent shower with a good combi-compatible shower mixer. Fit a combi with weather compensation for the simplest and best results.

I use Main all the time. They are a Baxi with a Main badge on.
Excellent mid price range boiler. 30 kw band A combi is around £660 to buy including flue, clock and vat.
15 months warranty or 2 years depending on your installer.
I can't recommend them enough. Also while your at it have a fernox TF1 installed with it. Well worth the extra £80 or so.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies and advice (some has baffled me) Quite like the idea of the Main make Has anyone else installed this particular one. Please can you explain what a fernox TF1 is. Thank you

It is a filter. I don't like them but it is only an opinion.

As for boilers.... asked 5 different installers and get 9 answers (statistically speaking).

Personally I wouldn't touch a Baxi group (which includes Main and Potterton), Ideal, Ariston or Keston with a leper's barge pole.

But you want cheap, so.... I am still on a quest for a "cheap" option. But sadly all I end up with is the generic carp they all churn out.

So Atmos/Intergas as option number 1, Atag as option 2.

Don't skimp on this phase of your project. IT WILL haunt you later.

Until you have had the dynamic mains water flow rate measured you will not know if a combi is suitable!

You need a decent installer to advise you!

Tony Glazier

Until you have had the dynamic mains water flow rate measured you will not know if a combi is suitable!

You need a decent installer to advise you!

Tony Glazier
in english we say working pressure and flow rate

Thank you again, can I measure the dynamic flow rate or is it a plumb job, probably will get advice from installer it feels like it might be a minefield out there.

I would go for a good german or dutch boiler installed as they do there with compensation controls such as weather compensation, or internal compensation...

there are exceptions, such as glowworm which is a rebranded french brand (I think)...

What make do german and Dutch come under and what price range are they. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back