Combi Boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably been posted millions of times (sorry).

I am planning on having my seperate bathroom and toilet knocked into one. To do this though I have to shift my hot water tank out of the airing cupboard that seperates them. I have been advised the easiest way is to purchase a combi boiler (my current boiler is approx 10 years old).

After reading various posts regrading trouble with their combi boiler I am slightly concerned. What advice can anybody give me regarding which combi boiler to purchase.

Sponsored Links
If you're going to have a bath you could do with some stored hot water anyway, so is there somewhere else you could put a storage cylinder? And perhaps use a thermal store or an unvented cylinder? The water system should cope with your water requirements rather than be inadequate just to fit in a smaller space. It's one of those important systems in a house that is used all of the time and it will irritate constantly if it's not right.

If its ok, 10 years old is not old enough to justify changing.

oilman said:
If you're going to have a bath you could do with some stored hot water anyway, so is there somewhere else you could put a storage cylinder? And perhaps use a thermal store or an unvented cylinder? The water system should cope with your water requirements rather than be inadequate just to fit in a smaller space. It's one of those important systems in a house that is used all of the time and it will irritate constantly if it's not right.

If its ok, 10 years old is not old enough to justify changing.

I find myself in the curious and most unusual position in having to disagree with oilman

most of the high efficiency combis 100,000 - 120,000 btu types cope admirably with "running a bath" add to that condensing technology and you are to a winner

I do agree with the statement i"if its not right it will irritate" but as long as all the preliminary checks are carried out and they are satisfactory then this will not be a concern

Also why not up the ante and look in to the storage combi, these can be terrific.

My advise is do your home work visit some site like

http://www.baxi.co.uk/
http://www.vaillant.com/

gen up on your subject then get a reputable firm in to carry out all the necessary checks

Oilman I think you just hate combis mate did one attack you as an apprentice ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

corgiman said:
Oilman I think you just hate combis mate did one attack you as an apprentice ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

No,I think you're find it was the other way round ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I don't hate combis, they earn me lots of money fixing them, but oil combis must be something very different from gas combis. If you're lucky you'll get 15l/min but more often 9l/min so it takes for ever to run a bath. So if someone wants a combi they had better make sure they know what they need from the water system, and that whatever they put in can cope. I have quite a few customers that are spitting teeth over their installation.

oilman said:
I don't hate combis, they earn me lots of money fixing them, but oil combis must be something very different from gas combis. If you're lucky you'll get 15l/min but more often 9l/min so it takes for ever to run a bath. So if someone wants a combi they had better make sure they know what they need from the water system, and that whatever they put in can cope. I have quite a few customers that are spitting teeth over their installation.

Must say that I have fitted countless combis and in some instances (client knowing best et :rolleyes: ) fitted ones when the flow and pressure are boarder line to say the lest and nearly 100% of them are happy

oilman said:
Must say that I have fitted countless combis and in some instances (client knowing best et :rolleyes: ) fitted ones when the flow and pressure are boarder line to say the lest and nearly 100% of them are happy

What would you say the reason for the unhappy combi boiler owner ?

Badly design or wrong type of combi boiler or some combi are better than others, wrong btu output , can't cope with demand , not design for family , bad advice etc..........

My mum's have got a Valliant combi boiler with above average water pressure and yet still take 15 minutes to fill the bath.

Have noticed some happy and unhappy combi owner's out there,I'm still a bit confused :confused:

Masona wrote
oilman wrote:
Must say that I have fitted countless combis and in some instances (client knowing best et ) fitted ones when the flow and pressure are boarder line to say the lest and nearly 100% of them are happy

No I didn't, that was corgiman. :eek:

oilman said:
Masona wrote
oilman wrote:
Must say that I have fitted countless combis and in some instances (client knowing best et ) fitted ones when the flow and pressure are boarder line to say the lest and nearly 100% of them are happy

No I didn't, that was corgiman. :eek:

blimey oilman will have a coniption :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I have a 120,000 combi (ideal rsponse) and fills my bath in less than 8 minutes. As I say if all is good a combi is brill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back