Combi-Condenser Boiler in Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For various reasons we're considering ditching our knackered power shower and replacing our existing heating boiler with one Combi Boiler in the loft at the same time. The idea is we get space, on demand hot water and a stonking uncomplicated shower in one hit.

We've had two combi boilers in past properties and they have worked well for us, however a quick look round the web and discussion with friends suggest they may be far less reliable, so perhaps we were just lucky.

Are combis to be avoided?

Also we have excellent mains water pressure here. Is there a danger that in future it could drop off significantly to the point where it wouldn't drive a decent shower? If it did we could just install a pump upstream of the boiler, yes?

Finally is the loft a risky position for a boiler? I would imagine it will drop below freezing up there and the tanks that are currently in place seem to have a lot of insulation which would not be present on a boiler.

Sponsored Links
It is a very good idea, and you clearly like the concept, as millions of people do. We can't predict what may happen to the mains water pressure. Good modern boilers have built-in frost protection, and you could build it in to an insulated cupboard. You will have to have a floor, fixed lighting, handrails and a semi-permanent ladder.

Get yourself a good quality boiler with weather compensation. The best makes will offer you a remote control device which brings the controls down into the occupied part of the house.

There will be further posts telling you I am wrong, but do it, if it's what you want. I did.

On the subject of water pressure, who knows what the future will bring but you're not allowed to put a pump on incoming mains. There are solutions but unless it's a problem now, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sponsored Links
Personally you should have an electric shower for if the combi breaks
down so you have backup hot water for washing.

You must already have a hot water tank so I would replace the hot water tank
with an unvented cylinder and therefore have mains pressure hot water.
Provided you have the mains pressure and flow for it. It will give
a better shower.

Ditching the electric shower is IMHO the best thing you can do. They often give pathetic flow, and are more expensive to run. If you go the unvented route, then you will have a back up electric immersion element. If the combi route, and it breaks down, then just bath with a friend. ;) Just get yourself a good thermostatic shower mixer, and you'll never look back.

Good suggestion for unvented. You may be able to keep your existing boiler if it's any good. Just change your hw cylinder to an unvented one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back