Is it okay to put a combi boiler in the loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of getting quotes to move my bathroom from downstairs into our smallest bedroom upstairs. We currently have a back boiler system with a hot water tank (basic gravity fed system) sitting in a slightly elevated position in the loft. In terms of water pressure, the lack of pump is not currently a problem because of the drop of several metres from the loft to the downstairs shower.

One plumber has pointed out that this could be a problem though when we move it all upstairs. He has suggested installing a combination boiler. This is also attractive to us because we have had problems with the reliability of our current system - see previous thread //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14484&highlight=bermuda

Anyway, the plumber who mentioned this said that he would put the combi coiler in the loft. Is he supposed to do this? If it gets really cold up there could it not crack the heat exchanger??

The total quote for moving bathroom upstairs and fitting a combi boiler is coming out about £4,500 - £5,000. Does this seem reasonable?

Sponsored Links
With regard to your price get a few quotes from recommended tradesmen.

You can put a boiler in the loft if :

You have fixed lighting
Area under boiler is sufficiently boarded for servicing etc
You have a fixed retractable ladder
Loft access has a guard rail
Frost stat will be reqd
Above info thanks to kevplumb ;)

My parents have a combi in the loft.
One drawback that they have reported is some times they have to get access to the control panel to reset it. Bit of a drawback when you are 67 :(
Also it takes ages for the hot water to get to the kitchen tap!

P

Any proper installer will advise you about the pros and cons, some of which have already been noted. The dead leg is the only thing that should be a problem design wise.
The price doesn't surprise me (if its a proper job), as its not a simple boiler swap- lots of your system will be back to front size wise, the gas will no doubt need to run from the meter in 28mm and you'll need wiring in the loft and downstairs to the programmer. That would be about 3k (depending on what boiler) in my book- without the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
I must admit the dead leg is a pain in the arrse. :(
I have to wait approx 2-3 mins for the hot water to come through but thats the price you pay for the extra cupboard in the kitchen.
Have it in the kitchen if possible to negate this drawback :)

Not bought a Vaillant with 'warmstart' the Bahco?
PVM, even with the built in 'antifreeze' a pipe stat may still be in order depending on where they run. (Just a thought- don't get angry!!!!!!!!!)

Warmstart, when switched on, keeps the water within the boiler up to temp so that when you turn on a tap you only wait for the water to come through, not the boiler to get up to temp as well. (Obviously makes no difference if heating is on).

I put a condensing Ideal and a Megaflo in a loft. Yes the deadleg... But also tell your neighbours. This chap's neighbour called the fire brigade because they thought the roof was on fire. (The "Plume").

Deadleg.....With the megaflow is a secondary circulation possible ?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back