Combi or megaflow instalation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm after bit of advice. I live in new build 2 bedroom house with 1 bathroom and 1 toilet all running on megaflow 145l heated by Vaillant ecotec 632. Problem is that builders put megaflo in one of the rooms upstairs and this thing is taking too much room, so I had two plumbers to have look if its possible to move water tank to the loft or getrid of that uggly megaflow and install combi boiler insted. This where I need help from you guys beacuse one plumber said that combi will not provide hot water for shower and lets say kitchen tap, so he recommend moveing megaflow to the loft. Second plumber said that combi eg. VAILANT 832 will do the job perfectly and I will have hot water at the same time from bath and when someone will be doing washing in the kitchen.
LHow do I belive???.
Im very confused of what to do now ???????

Thanks for help.

Sponsored Links
How many people in the house? Combis OK for one or two people as long as you understand that turning a tap on whilst someone is showering could cause much stamping on the bathroom floor. With storage you have multi outlet use, higher temperatures and a back up if the boiler is out of action.

I have no idea, but both of them said it's very good. 3 people in the house.

Sponsored Links
Just be aware that if you go for a combi your hot water flow rate will drop off significantly. Personally I'd stick with the Megaflo and move it to a more convenient location

Does anyone know if loft ceiling is strong to hold weight of 145L megaflo??

Don't know, can't see it. Generally they are with some additional supporting timberwork, but not always

Combis have a maximum flow rate of hot water, if the combi is big enough ( in Kwatts of heating power ) to supply the shower and a tap at the same then it will probably be to big to efficiently keep the house warm.

As said if you already have water storage then keep it. Combis were created ( by the devil ? ) for flats and compact houses where storage was not possible.

I would be moving the megaflo, getting rid of it in favour of a combi is a no brainer IMO. Megaflo can go anywhere really, as long as the PRV discharge can be routed safely to a suitable point.

A 300 li cylinder weighs about 350 kg.

But anyone sensible will always place it over a structural wall where the weight will be easily supported.

A combi for more than 1 or 2 people is being mad. So many installers fit them though!

Tony

Is that really a 32kW system boiler in a 2 bed house?? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Stranger things have happened! I'm currently trying to find a working solution for a 2-bed bungalow with an old ecoTEC 630 (3:1 modulation!) which is cycling more than Bradley Wiggins. Haven't done a calc on the property yet but I'm guessing it'll be about 12kW max. Shame IG don't do a smaller system or heat-only!

We do!!

Sadly some genius told the Dutch that a 12kW boiler wouldn't sell over here and even now they know better they're not that bothered because of the new range :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back