Megaflow hw storage + combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Per the title, how does the megaflow unit get it's fill of hw from a combi.

And how is the water in the megaflow re-heated?

reason I ask is that (pub talk) a builder plumber suggested I junk my existing Y-plan conventional boiler, dump the power shower pumps x 2 (two shower rooms) and go for a combi with hw storage via a megaflow giving mains pressure water.

The boiler would be in the kitchen area, so a combi could give direct hw via the combi to the kitchen (sink, washing machine and dishwasher).

The CH is obvious...

Then the upstair bathrooms (2), sinks (3) and showers would feed from the megaflow storage unit.

Since the pipe distance between boiler and bathrooms is 10m+ and I need pressure for the showers the design makes sense, but I don't really understand how a combi can supply water to a storage device (megaflow) and then keep the temperature of the stored water decent enough to us.

Sorry if I'm being a 'thicky' :oops:

Sponsored Links
Look at it like putting a radiator in a hot water cylinder!

There was one guy on here, I think that he was a pro but not sure, who had put a three way valve in to the CH supply to heat a DHW cylinder whilst the instant DHW part of the combi fed his cloakroom... I'm really not sure if this is a legitimate way of doing things or if it was his own invention. Never seen this arrangement whilst out and about...

Sponsored Links
Heres a bit more

Different ways of doing it.
Most common as Baxpoti suggests is simply to treat the heating coil as an extra zone.

The energycatcher uses the preheated DHW in the megaflow and then runs it through the Mains water / DHW side of the combi to bring the water up to temperature. Unfortunately I can't see the picture they have in the brochure at that link. This pre heating feature is what makes this system different.

By using twin coiled cylinder I dare say you could create a combination of energycatcher, solar, or 'CH powered' heat to get hot water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back