Combi hot water scalding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my mother has a Worcester combi and called me to say hot water was scalding so told her to turn the hot water control down to 1 from 4 but no change. Housing association plumber called but don’t know when he can attend, anything I can try in the meantime or can anyone tell what’s wrong. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Okay water scalding I switched it off at the wall and back on thermostat down at 1 on boiler and I get scalding water out the tap for around 20-30 seconds then just very warm mildly hot ( you can keep your hand under it ) turn tap off for 30 mins then the same again when turning tap on

sorry i'm not a heating engineer, i asked for the model number as i know others would when they come on the site later.

it sounds like the tap water is being heated up when the boiler is heating the house, and this is why you get 30 seconds of scalding water, i am unsure if the heating and hot water heat exchangers are a combined unit on these or not.

Is it 30 seconds when on maximum setting? Is it the Greenstar Junior ? The hot water on these is supposed to be fixed at 55 degrees, so turning the radiator temperature won’t make a difference.

Is it 30 seconds when on maximum setting? Is it the Greenstar Junior ? The hot water on these is supposed to be fixed at 55 degrees, so turning the radiator temperature won’t make a difference.
sorry no the boiler stat for hot water is under 1 the heating stat is around 5 ish just before the click when you can turn it up further. so i only tried this when i first went in and again 30 mins later. open hot tap decent flow you get around 30 seconds of scalding water then warm water for as long as you ru water, turn tap off anf go back later and its the same scalding water then warm after roughly 30 seconds

You sure it’s a 28i junior?

Could do with the model or photo and if it’s definitely a combi.

Definitely a Worcester combi with twin times on built in time clock so has preheat on the hot water

Probably a bithermal heat exchanger, you will get a slug of very hot water when the heating has been on as the dhw is sitting in the heat exchanger, warn your mum to run a tap for 30 seconds before putting her hands near it.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Probably a bithermal heat exchanger, you will get a slug of very hot water when the heating has been on as the dhw is sitting in the heat exchanger, warn your mum to run a tap for 30 seconds before putting her hands near it.
Anyway to stop it she’s nearly 90 and forgetful (suppose I could put a sign up) isn’t it compulsory to fit tmv’s

Anyway to stop it she’s nearly 90 and forgetful (suppose I could put a sign up) isn’t it compulsory to fit tmv’s
Only on a new build or alterered property, eg barn conversion, for baths

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back