Combi install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I've bought a house which i'm renovating. It has an 15 year old semi gravity system with a back boiler. I'm planning to take this out, and replace it with a combi boiler. I have a gas fitter who is going to commission the boiler, and make all the gas connections for me. I am going to be doing the prep work, and get all the water connections ready for him.

Before I start I was just doing a little research to clarify a few things.

I'm assuming the back boiler will have 4 tappings on it so the old gravity circs will be of no use now, and can be cut and left in place. The flow and return I guess will be able to be cut in the airing cupboard, and left ready for connection to the boiler.

Does all this sound familiar to those who've done back boiler to combi conversions before?

Thanks for any comments or advice.

Sponsored Links
The gravity pipes will be going to the airing cupboard. You need to pick up the htg circuit upstairs and cap the pipes which went to the back boiler.

Remember to remove the old pump aswell.

Sounds like a good start. Have a word with your 'Gas Fitter' who must be a reasonable guy because reading this forum there seems to be an army of CORGI's out there ready and willing to provide this service yet everyone I seem to know won't touch these jobs with a barge pole.

Thanks for reply.

The gravity circs don't tee into the heating circuit at all do they?

The pump isn't nessecarily in the airing cupboard is it? It could be somewhere under the floorboards couldn't it?

When I remove the pump, do I just need to fill in with a piece of pipe?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a standard BB out and combi in, probably one of most common jobs ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back