Back boiler to combi conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Just a question regarding converting from a back boiler to a combi boiler.

The back boiler has gravity circs and a pumped central heating circuit. The gravities are in 28mm, and remain in the airing cupboard now the cylinder has been taken out. Is the any reason why I couldn't join the 22mm heating circuit to the 28mm gravity circuit in the cavity of the fireplace where the back boiler was? Would this then make the old 28mm gravities in the airing cupboard the new flow and return for the combi. I'd just need to reduce them to 22mm, and pipe straight into the combi.

I've given this some thought, and can't see a reason why it wouldn't work. Apart from the old pump, but this would no longer be wired in anyway.

Thanks for any advice.........or abuse :)

Sponsored Links
why reduce them?

why dont you get some quailfied chaps around you house for a price and pick their brains

they would find it a lot easier to tell you how to do the job yourself than us poor schmucks looking at your typing

and they wont mind about you wasting their time at all, in fact I am sure that chaps who have being doing the job for years and years like people doing it to them, after all they do a job that a trained monkey could do why would they mind

:rolleyes:

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. When I said reduce them, I just meant reduce them for the last 3 foot from where they pop up into the airing cupboard to go into the boiler. I didn't mean in their entirety.

Judging by the response this idea seems like it's feasable. I also like your sarcasm :) Hey I have the skin of a rhino :)

Thanks for the advice.

they would find it a lot easier to tell you how to do the job yourself than us poor schmucks looking at your typing

Thats a coincidence! I went to a newish boiler in Isleworth last week and there was a note headed "schmuck" and listing about five faults with the installation.

A woman from SL !!! Ring any bells?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hello,
Just a question regarding converting from a back boiler to a combi boiler.

The back boiler has gravity circs and a pumped central heating circuit. The gravities are in 28mm, and remain in the airing cupboard now the cylinder has been taken out. Is the any reason why I couldn't join the 22mm heating circuit to the 28mm gravity circuit in the cavity of the fireplace where the back boiler was? Would this then make the old 28mm gravities in the airing cupboard the new flow and return for the combi. I'd just need to reduce them to 22mm, and pipe straight into the combi.

I've given this some thought, and can't see a reason why it wouldn't work. Apart from the old pump, but this would no longer be wired in anyway.

Thanks for any advice.........or abuse :)

i do believe that is ok

I would cut the pump out though wouldnt trust ther old pump valves under pressure. You shouldnt haved any balancing issues though as the system will work in the exact same way it did before.

Sam

Thats a coincidence! I went to a newish boiler in Isleworth last week and there was a note headed "****" and listing about five faults with the installation.

A woman from SL !!! Ring any bells?

Tony

No it doesnt. should it?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. When I said reduce them, I just meant reduce them for the last 3 foot from where they pop up into the airing cupboard to go into the boiler. I didn't mean in their entirety.

Judging by the response this idea seems like it's feasable. I also like your sarcasm :) Hey I have the skin of a rhino :)

Thanks for the advice.

Glad you took it in the manner it was meant

:)

Tony why should the lady in SL ring bells? I am all a quiver with curiousity now

:)

How the Fook did I end up reading this thread? And why in the name of beelzibub's nut sack does Tony think that RGI's are on first name terms with every random ethnic minority in the greater London area?

Rant over. For now.......

I think...........

Yep..... ulcer has calmed right down......

Phew. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back