Combi Make & Model - Quote Purposes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'll be seeking 3 x quotes from local heating engineers to decommission and remove a back boiler, replacing it with a combi to be installed in the adjacent kitchen. I want to go for a middle of the range boiler in terms of manufacturer i.e. not the cheapest not the most expensive. If this makes sense, I want the 3 quotes to be meaningful i.e. close to like for like in terms of components. One company might stand out as offering good value but this might be due to them quoting for a bargain basement / not very reliable boiler so not a true comparison if the others quote for higher quality and more expensive boilers.

To that end, should I simply advise the companies I want them to quote for a middle of the range boiler and leave it to them, or should I go as far as to stipulate a make of boiler? And if the latter, what brand would you suggest?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Unless you get quotes for exactly the same boiler then how do you expect to make any comparison between them?

Tony

Last edited:
thanks Muggles. Yeah Agile that's my point, just wasn't sure if companies would take kindly to the customer saying 'quote for this specific make'

Sponsored Links
thanks Muggles. Yeah Agile that's my point, just wasn't sure if companies would take kindly to the customer saying 'quote for this specific make'
It's your house, you can have what you like. Would you let a decorator choose the colour of your walls? Only thing to bear in mind is that the warranty will vary - Platinum 5 installers can give the full 7 / 10 year warranty whereas non-P5 can only give you three years

because the price variance between quotes is usually on labour.

Quite so!

That's why choosing a preferred boiler model is going to ensure the quotes only vary because of the labour element.

To fit an Intergas 28 kw combi I would expect to be quoting about £2200 plus gas supply at £12 per metre of 22 mm plus £22 per metre for extending the heating pipes to the new boiler location..

Tony

thanks for further feedback guys. probably not a fair question to ask, but for a property as follows, what model of Intergas combi boiler (or other makes) would do the job?

upper 2 bed flat (64 sq. m. internal floor area)
1 x radiator (small ground floor entrance hall with stairs leading to upper living area)
1 x radiator (small upper landing leading to all rooms)
1 x radiator (very small kitchen)
1 x radiator (medium sized lounge)
1 x radiator (medium sized double bedroom)
1 x radiator (small double bedroom)
1 x radiator (small bathroom)

if it helps the current back boiler is a Baxi Bermuda 401.

the cost of the same boiler will be simular from each quote you get in most cases, what you need to gauge is the quality of the installation which can be hard. The person giving the quote will need to check your water supplys pressure, flow and hardness, the gas pipework sizing which will likely need upgrading to a larger size, talk to you about flushing the existing radiator system, magnetic filters and so on.
If they are keen to service the boiler every year even better as most bish bosh bashers wont want ro return your call once they have been paid, care about flushing the raidators and so on. Go for the boiler your chosen engineer is happy with.

My tuppence worth, by going down the Intergas route you may be limiting your installer base. In my personal opinion decent mid range boilers would be Ideal Logic Plus, Baxi Duotec. Mass produced mid range boilers, spares and technical knowledge readily available.

thanks again guys, sorry not a clue re: flow rate. One thing I do know is we're not in a hard water area. I'll take on board re: limiting myself if only suggesting Intergas. I'm budgeting circa £3k for this but think my total bill will be higher once I factor in removal of back boiler, hot water tanks, making good walls etc.

The Mighty Gash has a pretty extensive network of installers. And they are not going to be the average "sling a Wooshitter at the wall and hope for the best" variety. ;)

I would also propose the Baxi Duotec and the Ideal Logic+ models as the basis for your quotes. Good mid-range boilers that are easy to work on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back