Combi scares me!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently moved into a ground floor flat. It was built in 1993 and I think the combi boiler is the one that was installed when the flat was built.

It is a Glow worm swift flow 80, connected to 4 small and one large radiator.

So far its performed great! There is loads of pressure with the hot water and it heats it very hot and gives the best showers ever! However, two times now it has done something that scares me. When running the hot tap continuously for about 10 minutes - so a long shower, running the bath, cleaning the kitchen etc, there is a sudden loud horrid sound and rumble of a whoosh of water coming from in the boiler. The pressure gauge on the boiler drops suddenly during this time shoots to about 0.2bar. It is usually at 0.7 when doing nothing. after about 3 seconds the noise stops, the pressure shoots back up to about 0.8bar and the fan stays on before stopping as normal and then the pressure gauge resumes down to 0.7bar again.

This just happened again scaring the hell out of me as I was in the kitchen and was able to notice the pressure changes. I shut off the hot water tap in the kitchen which stopped the noise. I then noticed that the radiators are all now slightly warm even though the heating isn't on. I have noticed before that the radiators do get slightly warm after a shower, but the hot water heating works as expected and I have had the heating on which works fine and as expected, so didn't think there was much of a problem.

Sorry for the long post but does anyone know what is going on?! Why is my boiler, on occasion, making scary wooshing noises and loosing pressure then working as normal?

Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
My best guesss is that the AAV is not letting air out of the boiler and its overheating.

However, if you are a tenant its the landlord who should be sorting this out.

Tony

No, I own the flat. The previous owner was a landlord and had rented the flat out for 3 years. I have three years of service cetificates for the boiler so hoped it would be in good nick. I did find a very old AAV thrown ontop of a kitchen cupboard so hope a new one has been fitted at some point! Bit worrying.

Is this something that is dangerous and so should I not be using the boiler?

Thanks again for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back