combi vs heat only boiler??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, need an expert opinion.
i have a 3 storey 5 bed 3 bath victorian semi; i want hot central heating and my hubby wants good water pressure for his shower (not a power shower). windows double glazed, max 4 showers/day + occ bath, washing machine usu washes at 30'C.
oh, top floor shower is electric so not off boiler.
do i want heat only (coz i think that's wasteful to heat up a whole tank),maybe with solar panel? or good 38kw combi?
what makes do you recommend- ideally w 3-5y guarantee?? or am i dreaming...

Sponsored Links
for your house/requirements i think a system boiler with unvented cylinder(provided your mains supply is adequate). Vaillant ecotec 630 and 150 litre unistor (great pressure and 25yr guarantee)would be a good investment

I'm a big fan of combis, but I feel that a 3 bath house is not the right application... I'd be looking to install either a vented or unvented cylinder (Dependent on water pressure and flow)...

Make of boiler?... Vaillant or Worcester for me and I offer a 5 year parts and labour guarantee on either of the makes of boiler above, so I don't see why with a bit of negotiation you couldn't get the same from your installer.

Sponsored Links
I'm a big fan of combis, but I feel that a 3 bath house is not the right application... I'd be looking to install either a vented or unvented cylinder (Dependent on water pressure and flow)...

Make of boiler?... Vaillant or Worcester for me and I offer a 5 year parts and labour guarantee on either of the makes of boiler above, so I don't see why with a bit of negotiation you couldn't get the same from your installer.

i totally agree.

been reading up a lot lately on applications and would suggest unvented system . three showers at the same time and possibility of washing machine kicking in any combi would struggle . if you go unvented make sure the installer is qualified g3 certificate and any reputable one should be able to do some flow and pressure test to see if the application would be suitable .vailliant boiler for me

i totally agree.

Me too

for your house/requirements i think a system boiler with unvented cylinder(provided your mains supply is adequate). Vaillant ecotec 630 and 150 litre unistor (great pressure and 25yr guarantee)would be a good investment

I agree, but maybe go to at least a 250 litre (150 is abit small for 3 baths?). Combi will be useless in this situation...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back