Storage Combis??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All

Reading through forums, seems a lot of you like the Worcester range and there is a very mixed bag on Combi boilers. However, decided to take the Combi route. House is ..3 bed semi - bath with shower and an downstairs shower room - very old gravity fed system.

A friend has recommended I look at Combis with some storage facility - I presume they store 20-30 litres so water is instantly hot when the taps are open.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me their thoughts on Storage Combis Vs Normal Combis.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Have a look at potterton site (powermax range)Better than combis, when u have two bathrooms.Smallest one stores 85 ltr of hot water and can supply it at approx 35 ltr per minute.Fits nicely into airing cupboard.

WKayani said:
A friend has recommended I look at Combis with some storage facility

Does this "friend" repair boilers?

Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me their thoughts on Storage Combis Vs Normal Combis.

Do yourself a favour and forget combies, they are a good way of getting to know a boiler repair man really well, or sitting cursing when you find there is no backup when it stops working.

Nothing wrong with a decent qaulity combi, all heating systems are full of controls which break down, only difference is the combi has all it's bits in one place so the combi gets the blame which isn't a fair comparison, just steer clear of craappp from the sheds.

Sponsored Links
I agree 100% with PVM. Make sure you have a scale inhibitor added and you should be OK. I fitted an Ariston 30Kw storage combi the other day and the customer was absolutely delighted with the performance. Mind you, they are monsters and really only suitable for airing cupboards or utility rooms.

I would only suggest a storage combi if the case demanded it based on percieved usage of it. You are heating water up and storing it, if you store hot water it loses heat and costs you money!
The advantage of instant hot water only comes into play I would suggest if there's more than 3-4 people in the house sometimes you can get a similar effect by ensuring that a normal high output combi is not sited too far away from the outlet points.
How many people are there in your house and what ages are they?
If you are still considering a storage combi I think you should take an unvented cylinder and system boiler into account as an alternative for an output of 20 litres/min+ If your mains water pressure is up to it. Make sure if you do get an unvented cylinder that the installer is competent {they should have an ID card to prove it [Mine's blue and has letters 'ERS' on the top]}

powermax has UNBELIEVABLE h/w flow rates....... up to 46 ltr/min......

the new promax HE range comes out soon from potterton, did some product training the other day, and they look great. easy to use, easy to service, and very efficient......

(its nothing like the old promax)

I've fitted a few Baxi MaxFlow WM a few years ago, no comebacks yet.
They have 55liter tank, quite suitable for a mid size house with bathroom and separate shower room
Dunno what the condensing ones are like

If your household is with 2 baths and 4 teenage daughters, suggest you go full unvented. I tend to fit Vaillant unvnted cylinders and system boilers

Should have been a little more specific....there is me, missus and 2 small kids.

I have a shower in the morning, wife shower after kids gone to school, washing machine during the day and kids have a bath/shower in the evening. It is very rare that 2 of us are showering/bathing at the same time.

I have a problem with space..the airing cupboard (in bathroom) I wanted to lose and put in a shower cubicle. The old boiler is down in the kitchen and on a old chimney type flue thing. Want to rip that out to give me more space plus there is no outside wall in the kitchen. Lady before me built an extension and has used any space.

Quick question...does boiler location make a massive difference on water flow around the house. Appreceiate a little diff but is it massive ? I mean, if I put boiler in garage, will it take an age to pump to the bathroom upstairs.

Sorry for the silly quesitons but never used a combi.

Waz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back