Combimate Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am in the process of arranging to get my Heatline S30 boiler replaced with a Vaillant 831 Ecotec plus boiler.
I have a Magnaclean filter and Combimate installed on the existing system.

With regards to the Combimate the installer is happy to keep it in place however I am not sure if it is working.

I replace the Siliphos on an annual basis and generally when I replace it there are still a fair few siliphos balls in the unit.
The existing boiler has had many repairs over the years (was already installed when the house was purchased) including Diverter valvle / motor, flow sensor, DHW sensor, Fan.

The main issue is the heat exchanger had to be cleaned twice (by different heating engineers) and recently has been replaced but it still manages to get blocked, with black bits coming out when being cleaned, seems to be associated to limescale, mind you I bought the new heat exchanger online so may not be geniuine???

Should I keep the Combimate or go for one of those inline type of filters? I had the Combimate fitted after it was cleaned the first time.
My parents house and brothers house (same area) dont have this problem they have Vaillant and WB boilers. Parents dont have any filter (Vaillant) and broher has inline filter (WB).

Any advice please

Sponsored Links
Your black bits are magnetite, from heating system, and wont be prevented by having a combimate OR an inline type filter which are fitted on the mains in to prevent limescale build up.
Has the magnaclean been cleaned out and if so was it very dirty?
I would recommend a system clean before the boiler is replaced.

Hi

I have cleaned out the filter a couple of times and yes it does have a black layer. I thought the Magnaclean is supposed to catch all of this though?

Thanks

The magnaclene does catch most sludge but hard , baked particles can get past, the new ones now have a non magnetic filter included in the same container and these new filters can be purchased separately and you just slide the old one off and slide the new plastic filter over the magnetic, nice cheap way to upgrade the magnaclene.

Sponsored Links
The magnaclene does catch most sludge but hard , baked particles can get past, the new ones now have a non magnetic filter included in the same container and these new filters can be purchased separately and you just slide the old one off and slide the new plastic filter over the magnetic, nice cheap way to upgrade the magnaclene.

Ah OK thanks, have you got a link to one if possible?

EDIT
Not a problem, just seen one on the Magnaclean Servicing Guide on their website. I should still powerflush though even if I get this changed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back