Combining lighting circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would it be OK for me to feed two existing lighting circuits from one 6amp RCBO? There is a total of 6 rooms only ( ordinary single lamps ). At the moment one circuit suplies 4 rooms and the other only 2.
Both circuits on same floor level
I do understand the part P implications ........

Sponsored Links
Thats what used to be done, before we started splitting the circuits. Providing you don't exceed the loading(unlikely)

How can we tell.??
You have not said how many lamps, or their wattages, are on each circuit.

You may have four 500watt floodlights on the downstairs lighting circuit.

Also it is good practise to have circuits segregated. Combining them is a backward step.

Why do you need to combine them? Do you need to make a space for something else on your consumer unit? Or is there another, more sinister, reason?

How can we tell.??
You have not said how many lamps, or their wattages, are on each circuit.

You may have four 500watt floodlights on the downstairs lighting circuit.

Also it is good practise to have circuits segregated. Combining them is a backward step.

Why do you need to combine them? Do you need to make a space for something else on your consumer unit? Or is there another, more sinister, reason?

Did I not say " ordinary single lamps " not floodlights or massive chandaleirs or sodium lamps or neon signs. And yes its so I can have another RCBO fitted for me freezer.

Sponsored Links
Are the two lighting circuits currently on RCBOs, or MCBs?

I would prefer to lose one lighting circuit, rather than both, in the event of a fault.

Do you lose power to the freezer a lot then?

Are the two lighting circuits currently on RCBOs, or MCBs?

I would prefer to lose one lighting circuit, rather than both, in the event of a fault.

Do you lose power to the freezer a lot then?

The freezer is on a utility room ring RCBO at the moment and I have had nuicance tripping that has remained even after extensive detective work. There is a dishwasher,washing machine,tumble drier and boiler on that ring also. I even renewed the white goods but still have the occasional trip. This is no problem as a rule but it happened when we where away in sunny crete about a month ago and ( need I say more ).
There is not enough room for another RCBO in the CU and as there are presently 4 lighting RCBO's I can hopefully lose one of these and use the vacated slot for a 16a RCBO for the freezer.

One thing occurs to me is that it will look like a ring if both cables go to the same RCBO?

I have had nuicance tripping that has remained even after extensive detective work.

Did that include getting an electrician to do insulation tests on the cable and appliances before you just foked out for new ones :eek: ?

could you add a small enclosure next to the board to take the lighting circuit you wanna double up on and the new circuit for the freezer?

could you add a small enclosure next to the board to take the lighting circuit you wanna double up on and the new circuit for the freezer?
If I had the room that would be ideal. However thats not an option here.

There is nothing wrong with a lighting circuit that splits at the breaker as long as overall load and other circuit characteristics are ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back