new lighting circuit with a twist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all I’m new to the electrical game I’ve just passed my part p and 16th edition but came across a situation while wiring up a loft conversion that I’m doing. Due to only three spare spaces being left on the buss bar and I have to fit 1 40amp r.c.d for the shower 1 32amp m.c.b for the ring main 1 6amp m.c.b for the lighting circuit I have no room for all 3 so is it allowed for me to run the lighting circuit off the upstairs 6amp m.c.b or connect into the upstairs lighting circuit at any point in the circuit cheers for any advice jez
P.S any idea if the NICEIC give advice when I join

Sponsored Links
I assume you want your lights for the loft off the upstairs circuit. That should be alright providing you don't overload the circuit. Usually don't exceed 1200w. Of course, if it's wired in 1.5mm² cable, there's the possibility you increase the MCB to 10A.

correct me if i'm wrong here... but you have 3 spare ways, and have to fit 3 new breakers... where's the problem?

you bought the double wide rcbo didn't you.?

you can get single width ones..

I'm assuming the board isn't split load then..

do they already have one shower fitted..

is the supply man enough to take 2 showers running at the same time?

run the light from a 5 amp fused spur set into the ringmain... simple..

Hello Coljack cheers for the quick reply you’re right I did fit the double width one I didn’t know it was possible to buy a single. I purchased a split board but decided it would be quicker to wire up to the old board I say old board about 3 months made by Hager supplied by the sparky I employed before I passed my exams do you know if Hager make a single 40amp r.c.d I know I’m expecting a lot here. The main amp is 100 it should handle 2 showers but I played safe and went for electric in the loft en-suite and a mixer running of the combi boiler. Never gave it a thought spurring of the ring main cheers for all the advice I hope I can give some back in the future any thoughts on http://www.niceicdirect.co.uk all though this link is not working at the moment once again cheers jez

Sponsored Links
Hello lumninaire yes that’s right I was intending to wire into the upstairs lighting 6amp m.c.b I calculated the total watts worse case scenario as 810 watts if the customer decides to put 100 watt bulbs in 6 of the lamp holders as the en-suite and loft room are 60watts max at the moment and cant go any higher due to manufacture guide cheers for you’re advice as well jez

i thought all new building work had to have at least one "special" low energy lighting point..? or is this just total builds, not extensions / conversions?

anyway..

to be future proof, put the lights and any electrics in the bathroom off a rcd protected spur from the ringmain ( or plain spur if the ringmain is rcd anyway ) to comply with the porposed change to the regs in the upcoming 17th edition..

i'm actually having trouble finding DOUBLE hager rcbo's....

they all seem to be single module ones that come up with a google search...

Hello again Coljack apparently using the new low voltage light bulbs constitutes as low "special" low energy lighting point and I have put these in the bathroom which is ip44 and low watt track light in the loft main room also according to the building regs there Is no need for this any way as it appears to be only on new builds. I will think about putting in an r.c.d breaker in if the building inspector asks for it as for the hager double I got it from my local supplier will do a search myself for a laugh cheers for the info jez
Well pdcelec why the negative attitude I am competent been in the building trade most of my working life/career and seen electric works done by so called qualified electricians that I would not let near my jobs why do you think I done the course myself but there is no harm in asking better safe than sorry jez

Well pdcelec why the negative attitude I am competent been in the building trade most of my working life/career and seen electric works done by so called qualified electricians that I would not let near my jobs why do you think I done the course myself but there is no harm in asking better safe than sorry jez

hello coljack i managed to get a single 40 amp rcd (rcbo) its now installed along with the ring main and lighting circuit and all is working fine in the loft conversion cheers for your'e info. now onto the next job once again cheers jez

cheers to luminaire to

Make sure you never confuse an RCD with an RCBO, very different animals!

A circuit must always have overcurrent protection, which is provided by fuse, mcb, or rcbo

(the o, stands for overload protection)

hello Garymo i now see my mistake i meant low energy as they are 11w giving a 60w light cheers for pointing that one out

Adam_51 cheers for that mistake as well sometimes i forget to say things as they should be thanks to all for your'e input jez

11W dosn't mean 11VA, especially if they have a switch start ballast as with 2-pin CFLs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back