New Circuit required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently constructing a loft conversion in the roof of a detached house. We have installed a new ring main because of the number of new socket outlets. We have also installed a new lighting circuit due to the number of downlighters. There would be too much loading to connect onto the existing upstairs circuits. As there is no access inside the house to run new feed cables from the cu on the ground floor up to the loft. Does anybody know the regulation concerning running one 6mm three core armoured cable from the cu out through the wall, up the outside of the house, back into the loft via the eaves and connected onto a separate cu in the loft space and fused 20amp ring and 6amp lighting with mcb's.

Sponsored Links
Lextoy said:
Does anybody know the regulation concerning running one 6mm three core armoured cable from the cu out through the wall, up the outside of the house, back into the loft via the eaves and connected onto a separate cu in the loft space and fused 20amp ring and 6amp lighting with mcb's.

IEE Wiring Regulations Parts 1, 3, 4, 5 & 7 apply, plus all relevant parts of the Building Regulations 2000 (as amended)

Whether it was considered good practice or not, I'm not sure, but in the good old days, sparks used to fuse upper ring finals at 20A because they were little-loaded by comparison to the ground floor circuit.

Sponsored Links
Nope. All the 20A rings I have seen have been in 2,5. I have also seen some 16/20A radials for upstairs circuits as well, but not as many as I have 20A rings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back