Extended ring circuit

Sponsored Links
ET101 applies to zero electrical installations in Yorkshire nor any part of the UK (including the city you live in)
I've been handed an ET101 Periodic Inspection Report before for a rented property in the City of Derry by a letting agent. And Derry City Council had a requirement that contractors must be registered with either NICEIC, ECA or RECI. So evidently the world's not as black and white as you believe.

I frequently find southern installation practices and materials in the north, and northern installation practices and materials in the south. That's the reality of life in the area around the British-imposed "border".

1.5 can be used on some immersion circuits.
Before 1 milli was "outlawed", it too could be used on certain immersion circuits.

Sponsored Links
I've been handed an ET101 Periodic Inspection Report before for a rented property in the City of Derry by a letting agent. .

I assume you handed back saying it was irrelevant, and asked if the correct report was available.

The border was not imposed. It came about due to stirrers in the south wanting independence. But that is off topic anyway.

I've been handed an ET101 Periodic Inspection Report before for a rented property in the City of Derry by a letting agent. And Derry City Council had a requirement that contractors must be registered with either NICEIC, ECA or RECI. So evidently the world's not as black and white as you believe.

I frequently find southern installation practices and materials in the north, and northern installation practices and materials in the south. That's the reality of life in the area around the British-imposed "border".

I bow to your knowledge of the situation near the border. I would still say that ET101 has no bearing in Yorkshire. Quoting ET101 regs just confuses people.

The border was not imposed. It came about due to stirrers in the south wanting independence. But that is off topic anyway.

There is no limit to your lack of knowledge. Ireland (Eire) is a sovereign state and those 'stirrers' were fighting against English colonialism. Probably time to lock this.

In relation to the is most recent, highly 'off-topic', tangential discussion, I think there is one point which is going overlooked - namely that there is no legal requirement in the UK for domestic electrical installations to comply with BS7671, and that at least some people believe that demonstration of compliance with 'the Law' (Part P of the Building Regulations) can be achieved by demonstrating compliance with other (appropriate) countries' national regulations, as an alternative to demonstrating compliance with BS7671.

BS7671 itself is, understandably, silent on this question, since it is not concerned with the Building Regs, and 'the Law' (Part P itself) gives no indication of what has to be done to demonstrate compliance with its very generally-stated requirements. However, Approved Document P makes it clear that demonstrating compliance with BS7671 is only one possible way of demonstrating compliance with Part P, and includes the statement.

upload_2019-8-27_13-35-11.png

It's obviously a question which could only be definitively be determined by a UK Court, but it seems hard to believe that it would not be decided that conformity with the national regulations/whatever of any ('respectable') industrialised nation would satisfy the above two requirements for conformity with Part P.

Kind Regards, John

It's obviously a question which could only be definitively be determined by a UK Court, but it seems hard to believe that it would not be decided that conformity with the national regulations/whatever of any ('respectable') industrialised nation would satisfy the above two requirements for conformity with Part P.

Kind Regards, John

Maybe in the case or Ireland and possibly any other EU 220/240v country, though I would be pretty *issed off if I rented a property in the UK and found it was wired with Schuko sockets.
However do you think that conformity with regs in the respected industrialised country known as the USA would be OK? And if so would one expect 120 or 240v bearing in mind that NEMA sockets are used on 220v systems in S. America and SE Asia?

Maybe in the case or Ireland and possibly any other EU 220/240v country, though I would be pretty *issed off if I rented a property in the UK and found it was wired with Schuko sockets.
Agreed, I would also be unhappy with that, although, as I've said (and as below), it would appear that it would be 'legal' (compliant with Part P). One's hope would obviously be that those who chose to work to some other nations regs would be sensible enough not to utilise accessories etc. which were not compatible with the 'usual' UK ones!
However do you think that conformity with regs in the respected industrialised country known as the USA would be OK?
In terms of 'legality', it's not what I think which matters but, rather, what the UK's relevant Secretary of State thinks, which is apparently ...

upload_2019-8-27_13-35-11-png.170287

I would have thought that in the majority of senses, compliance with US regs would probably satisfy those two requirements.

However, as you go on to admit (by implication) you've picked a (very unusual) example in which the usual supply voltage is much lower than in the UK (and most other countries of the world) so there might be some doubts in relation to some safety issues if those regs were applied to a country with a much higher supply voltage. If, rather than citing the US, you had mentioned any "respected industrialised country" which had a supply voltage in the range, say, 220V-250V, then, yes, I would say that compliance with that country's regs would be "OK" (compliant with UK law, aka Part P).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back