Extended ring circuit

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'll be honest - I don't understand the fascination with 16A radials over 20A radials.

25A circuit breakers are less common (although Hager and others do produce them). That said, there are circumstances where it wouldn't be appropriate to use a 25A circuit breaker, so 20A would certainly be the more conventional approach.

Here, the very basic standard approach with radial final circuits would be:

1.5mm^2: 10A MCB
2.5mm^2: 20A MCB
4mm^2: 25A MCB
6mm^2: 32A MCB etc.

Why are you using oversized cables (or lower rated MCBs) for all your suggestions?
I'm not making suggestions. I simply stated that the standard rule of thumb in Ireland is as described. And they are not all oversized. As I pointed out, 2.5mm^2 isn't always suitable on a 25A device. Nor is 4mm^2 always suitable on a 32A device, etc.

I'm not making suggestions. I simply stated that the standard rule of thumb in Ireland is as described.
Then please go to Electrics outside of the UK

And they are not all oversized.
Yes they are.

As I pointed out, 2.5mm^2 isn't always suitable on a 25A device.
When is it not?

Nor is 4mm^2 always suitable on a 32A device, etc.
When is it not?

....I simply stated that the standard rule of thumb in Ireland is as described. And they are not all oversized. As I pointed out, 2.5mm^2 isn't always suitable on a 25A device. Nor is 4mm^2 always suitable on a 32A device, etc.
True, in neither case will such cable/OPD combinations 'always be suitable'. However, although 'not always suitable', they very commonly 'will be suitable'. It therefore seems odd that a 'rule of thumb' should be based on an unusual 'bad case'. Are electricians in Ireland not encouraged to think and apply knowledge?

In fact, as far as I can see, even those rules of thumb will not always be correct - since, in the worst case scenarios, even thouigh cables would be uynder-sized - again, there is a need to think, rather than hope (incorrectly) that the 'rule of thumb' is a 'one size fits all' solution which removes the need for any thopught or knowledge.

Kind Regards, John

However, although 'not always suitable', they very commonly 'will be suitable'.
I would suggest that 4mm^2 is actually seldom suitable for a 32A protective device. The circumstances where it is suitable are quite limited.

When is it not? .... When is it not?
Methods 100, 101, 102 & 103 for a start, and maybe with other de-reating factors.

However, as I've just written, I would say that it's far better to think than to rely on a rule of thumb which is based on a relatively uncommon 'bad' (but not 'worst') case scenario.

Kind Regards, John

Are electricians in Ireland not encouraged to think and apply knowledge?
Don't be silly John.

I would suggest that it is British Electricians who think that 1.5mm^2 lighting circuits on 6A circuit breakers or 2.5mm^2 radial circuits on 16A circuit breakers (other than for the likes of an immersion heater) are sensible solutions who are incapable of intelligent design.

You will note that I have not promoted following "rules of thumb". I simply pointed out that the Irish rules of thumb may be more sensible than the British equivalent rules of thumb.

Personally I promote intelligent design based on the merits of what is there.

I would suggest that 4mm^2 is actually seldom suitable for a 32A protective device. The circumstances where it is suitable are quite limited.
Well, I have to admit that I haven't a clue as to what goes on in Ireland, but 'over here' Method C cable installation without de-rating factors seems common, rather than the 'quite limited' which you appear to be saying is the case in Ireland. Why are the Irish practices different?

Kind Regards, John

Well, I have to admit that I haven't a clue as to what goes on in Ireland, but 'over here' Method C cable installation without de-rating factors seems common, rather than the 'quite limited' which you appear to be saying is the case in Ireland. Why are the Irish practices different?

Kind Regards, John
Clipped direct is not uncommon per se in domestic installations. However more and more there is a mix in installation methods through an installation.

And don't forget that no-one here ever caps cables down walls - round conduit is always used - and that is true on both sides of the border.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back