Combustion Air

9 Feb 2004
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I need to provide some combustion air into a utility room that houses an oil boiler with an open flue. I would prefer not to install an air brick as I would like to eventually replace the boiler with a room-sealed type. As this is a bungalow would it be acceptable to provide some form of ventilation from the soffit into the ceiling of the utility room?
Sponsored Links
Assuming its the same as for gas, you could put a duct in to take fresh air fom outside down to low level, and then another out from the top.
You will only need one vent at high leval unless its a very small utility (less than 5 sq meters), the size of vent will be in your boiler manual,if you have a dryer or extractor in the room you may require more air to compensate
Hello COG, thanks for that reassuring note. I need about 20 so i guess a 6in diameter duct should do (5in at a push) any idea where I can get some suitable grills which will connect straight onto a duct - preferably white for the inside and brown for the outside ?
Sponsored Links
beg to differ but thats a wall fixing kit for an extract unit is it not?
any ventilation opening should also be fixed and non closable.
sorry to quibble ;)
There's "close" and then ther's a fully closing outlet designed to allow air out but not in
O.K I know i'm just being sarkey now :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links