Combustion Box Baxi Back Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my regular guy round to service my Baxi Bermuda Back Boiler (675) a couple of weeks ago, to be told the heat exchanger was leaking and needed new one. I had no idea of this. He gave me a quote but said he could not do it until after Christmas - assume he did not want the job!! I got a "second opinion" and this one suggested I try British Gas Homecare under their pre existing fault scheme. With all the "messing around" with the boiler, I was now aware of the leak as I could here it hissing and last Friday it was so bad it was putting the pilot light out and although I could relight it and it would stay on, once the boiler fired up and the pump running it was going out straight away. I duly signed up to British Gas and an engineer came last Saturday to do the initial check and order parts. He said I may as well have a new burner as well and also would need a new thermostat. The parts were duly delivered yesterday and the guy came to do the repair this morning but when he took all the old bits out he told me the combustion box had a hole in it - I call it the boiler "housing" (probably from where the heat exchanger had been dripping) but when he went to order this he told me that this part was obsolete and I would need a whole new boiler as there was the potential for fumes to escape. He suggested a regular boiler rather than a combi so I can use my existing cylinder, pump, programmer etc. My questions are:- 1. Can this part be tracked down, the BG engineer said if I could find one they could probably still do the repair. 2. He suggested get British Gas to do a quote and then get local Heating Engineers to quote as they will be cheaper - can anyone recommend someone who will cover Chelmsford in Essex. I would prefer the repair. I know my boiler isnt as effiient as new ones, but I could afford the £40 a month with BG for the pre existing fault, I'm guesstimating a four figure sum for a new boiler - and where would it be best to put it - loft for ease of access to the airing cupboard for the existing controls?? HELP PLEASE

Sponsored Links
675 IS from 1974. burner box is obsolete years ago . Although main parts from 552 fits into the 675 casing there are a few differences to the boxes namely the electrical connection and burner slides under a lip and is not screwed in.

Thanks for that, so its definitely a new boiler then? I'm assuming the housing for 552 cant be utilised somehow? So can anyone advise on my other questions? Assume I can still keep my gas fire - if the old boiler is "shut off" rather than removed? What a pain this close to Christmas!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back