baxi boiler combustion box corroded

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi could some1 please tell me. i moved into new house and central heating was service before moving in, got british gas to service my boiler which now know is baxi 401 about 25yrs old. to find out combustion box is corroded and now gas switched off. when i told him it was serviced he told me it should not have passed. i contacted the other service person only to be told he saw corroded combustion box and passed it. is this right. i have also been told will cost more tan boiler worth and need new heating system. :(

Sponsored Links
All depends how bad the signs where when the guy serviced it. Technically it is a turn off but in reality depending where the corrision is it will not cause any fumes or be dangeros in any way. Usaully the corrision is caused by the heat exchanger leaking or the fittings been weeping. Its not unusual for base to corrode with no leaks whatsoever.

If its just box leaking its a half day repair and about £60 parts if the heat exchanger is leaking then its about £300 total for parts or maybe get away with £15 gasket and combustion box

Its such an inefficient boiler at about 55% that its far better replaced with a modern condensing model which will be over 90% efficient.

Its a personal decision about the safety of a corroded boiler and as stated above on your model corrosion on the case has little dangerous consequences.

BG tend to be very strict in their assessments and they usually condem boilers with any significant corrosion as their management dont want inconsistencies of different engineers making different decisions! It also gives them a chance of a nice big job replacing it.

Tony

I recall finding one of these rotted out a few years back, and the replacement panels were no longer available.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back