Combustion chamber seal leaking- what does this cause?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi system 100 he plus with several faults.

When heating rads from cold to hot system pressure goes too high. Sometimes it goes to overheat lockout. Occasionally the boiler won't start at all and goes to ignition lockout. I am regularly topping up system pressure.

I have checked the spark electrode gap which is spot on. But noticed that the combustion chamber door seal is definately perished and letting by. Also the felt gasket behind the spark electrode and sensor is missing.

Could someone please explain exactly what a badly sealed chamber means and what it can cause. I am guessing that like an engine too much air will cause it to burn 'lean' and too hot ?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
you can get carbon monoxide leak and the aps may not meet it's trigger pressure. This is a job for a CORGI engineer!

Your first problem is most likely due to a blown or depressurised expansion vessel

The CC door seal fault will cause the products of combustion to leak out of the CC. This can, as dangermouse said, include carbon monoxide, which can kill you. And you can't smell carbon monoxide so it'll get you before you even know it.

You need a CORGI engineer to come in and sort you out.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back