Coming back to it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ten years ago I moved into an apartment, and since then, there has hardly been a need for any DIY, save for putting emulsion on walls. Recently, I decided to undertake two projects renovating some furniture for a friend - just a quick sand, primer and two top coats.

Coming back to this after a long break, I have noticed a few changes. Firstly, it appears all paint is now water-based (presumably an EC thing). I thought this was great - no messing about cleaning brushes in white spirit. However I suspect this may be the cause of my problems. I now find it impossible to paint without leaving brush strokes - lots of them. Also, when overlapping with a section that has been painted only a couple of minutes before, I find this section has already started drying, and my overlapping strokes ‘tear up’ the previously applied coat. The end result, compared with what I used to achieve, looks awful.

I’m guessing that this is all due to the paint drying too quickly. I have memories of having to leave it overnight before recoating, whereas the instructions now say recoating is OK after three to four hours. I also have memories of painting and watching the brush strokes flatten out before my eyes, leaving a perfectly smooth coat. This no longer happens.

I’ve been using decent quality brushes, with Crown Primer, flowed by F & B Estate Eggshell, or Crown Satin finish.

Is it just me? I’d appreciate any advice.

Steve

Sponsored Links
You need good synthetic brushes. I use Purdys or Proform Blaze. Work fast. You can put an extender in the paint to keep it wet longer. Xim, or owaltrol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back