Commando socket installation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm planning to get a data mining setup in my garage soon.

My plan is to branch off a 100a circuit board and install 3-4 commando (Blue) 32a sockets from their relative circuit breakers. I'll be looking to get 3-4 32a PDU's I've never used a PDU before but done lots of research on them and commando sockets. Does anyone know if it's a simple procedure (Like joining up normal domestic 13a sockets)? I won't be doing it but I will probably go through yellow pages to find a decent installer.

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Also I have a 100a service coming in and know that eash 32a should be under an 80% load .

Thanks

I'm not looking to do a 3 phase or anything, just about 12 - 14 miners

Sponsored Links
It depends, 800 or 1250 , however you can overclock them and that in turn consumes more power!!!
i'm thinking of getting 6 of the 800 and 6 of the 1250 but I don't want loads of sockets, thats why i thought of the commando idea so I can get some PDU strips.

That will be a 50A+ continuous load.

You will definitely need to contact your electricity supplier first, both to confirm you really do have a 100A supply and that the cabling to your house and the local network is capable of supplying such a load.

The fuseholder may say 100A but that doesn't mean it contains a 100A fuse, or that the cable to the property is suitable for 100A.
Electricity networks for domestic properties are not typically designed for high loads on all the time. They can supply large loads, but it is generally assumed that such things will be used for short periods.

Have you considered how the heat will be removed from the garage?

Hello and thanks, i wasn't aware of that. I have several windows , a few fans plus the aeration is great due to a metal roof and many gaps!

It does indeed say 100A as you stated. What would the consequences be if I carried on without their consent? Are we talking my personal safety? I was thinking with 3 x 32a PDU strips running at around 80% that would cover me plus the RCB's etc.

That will be a 50A+ continuous load.
Indeed so, if they really do take that much current continuously.

Quite apart from the supply capabilities and heat issues, I'm not sure I'd like to pay the electricity bills, either. At standard domestic rates, I make that something like £50 per day.

Kind Regards, John

Would keeping them cool reduce the power consumption?
I can't see how. It's really the other way around - the power consumption results in the heat, not the converse.

Of course, at least in Winter if a far amount of the heat could be 'extracted' into the house, that would reduce heating bills. There have been recent discussions here about whether the heat produced by a 100W filament bulb/lamp would result in a noticeable reduction in heating costs (and that's doubtful) - but here we're talking about more than 12,000W.

Kind Regards, John

I can't see how. It's really the other way around - the power consumption results in the heat, not the converse.

Of course, at least in Winter if a far amount of the heat could be 'extracted' into the house, that would reduce heating bills. There have been recent discussions here about whether the heat produced by a 100W filament bulb/lamp would result in a noticeable reduction in heating costs (and that's doubtful) - but here we're talking about more than 12,000W.

Kind Regards, John

I've read, perhaps somewhat anecdotally, about people who do heat their houses in the winter with bitcoin miners and offset the electric cost on the heating savings.

Not sure what they do in the summer months though...
:LOL:

What would the consequences be if I carried on without their consent?
Ultimately they can require you not not use the equipment, or disconnect your supply.
Electricity networks assume an average load per property, and for domestic it is very low, typically only a few amps. What you are intending to add is the equivalent of an extra 8 or 10 homes, certainly not trivial.

However if the fuse is a 60A (a common value) then it won't last very long. They will replace them for free at least once, but multiple requests will lead to an investigation.
Depending on the local network, such a large continual load may cause the voltage to drop below an acceptable level both in your property and nearby ones.
The massive increase in electricity use and the heat pouring from the garage may result in a visit from the police looking for your cannabis farm.

Or it may be totally fine, you already have a 100A fuse, the cabling is suitable for it and nothing will happen - but only they will know this.

In any event they will certainly know that you have installed this equipment. Far better for you to enquire first, rather than they find out and take whatever action they deem appropriate.

yellow pages
Does that even exist now? Even if it does, surely no one pays to advertise in it any more?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back