Commando sockets 16A vs 32A

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We are setting up our server room, with commando sockets to each server rack. We have asked our electricians to install 32A breakers feeding the commando sockets.

Now, we are only running 16A PDU's in some racks. These PDU's come with "230V 16A input w/ IEC 60309 connector". Can anyone tell me if these 16A connectors will fit into the 32A commando receptacles?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the 32s are quite a bit bigger.
as Ceeforms are non-fused, you can't put 16A sockets on a 32A circuit.
out of interest, why have you got 32A feeding the sockets.
the server rooms I have seen/worked in have had multiple power supplies, occasionally from different distribution boards.
IE a school had 4 16A sockets, 2 from one dis, 2 from another, each on its own 16A mcb. the theory being, if one unit develops a fault, the max you will lose is 2 out of 4 sockets, the system is then designed to cope with a 50% loss, most servers having twin PSUs for similar reasons.

out of interest, why have you got 32A feeding the sockets.

Many larger IT cabs have 32A or even larger circuits feeding them. I have just this minute finished a 32A socket install in one of our IT rooms for a 5kVA UPS

To the OP:- why didn't you ask this question to your electricians ?

Sponsored Links
We have 32A feeds to each rack as some PDU's are 32A, and some are 16A - having 32 to each rack gives us option to switch things around easily (at least I hope it does)

In a nutshell, each rack has two feeds (one from a 15kva UPS, and another direct to raw power) Both feeds in each rack are sourced from the same phase.

So, from what you are saying, I cannot have a 16A PDU on a 32A commando socket? Is this based purely on the connector being different, or its 'illegal' even if I change the 16A PDU to use a 32A connector?

Thanks for the help!

BTW - I would ask our electricans but they are not available today and I need to order some PDU's / cables urgently.

It all depends on the over current protection requirements for the PDUs.
If the instructions say 16A then you can't use them in a 32A protected supply even if the plugs fitted.
There is the possiblity that the electricians could change the sockets and protective devices for 16A then you could plug in.
Or you could have a small distribution box made with 2x16a protective devices and 2x16A sockets fed from the 32A although this would not discriminate and a fault on one 16A item could take out the 32A supply (if it is MCBs)

Ok , thanks for the advice. I have decided to get more 32A PDU's for the 32 commando's - and use the 16A ones for some racks which have smaller UPS's in them (5kva UPS's - they have 16A outlets for PDU's)

Great fast responses - much appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back