Commercial Gas - Going Self Employed- Any idea of Charges?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All
First time have posted,recently come across the site.
Currently HVAC engineer been in trade for 8 years, have been thinking for a while about going self employed.
Work for a really large company so have no idea what the average commercial servicing hourly charge is.
I know its a bit of a case of how long is a piece of string but does anyone have any approx idea of a price for commercial servicing and houry price for repairs etc.
Am based in the South West.
Cheers in advance for any advice....
Andy

Sponsored Links
To charge the right price you have to figure in all of the following and then some

1- Insurance

2- Rent (office)

3- Advertising

4- All overhead (phones ,electric etc) and then a profit margin

What good is it to be self employed if your not making a lot more then your being compensated for?

Do not sell your skills cheap and do not ever take on work just to keep busy (Sure way to go broke fast)

Do not ever think "going rate" as to many imbeciles call some other moron asking how much they are charging as neither one has a clue

Do not argue with people if they say your expensive AGREE with them.

Say "Yes I am very expensive but perfection is not an accident.

If you married and your wife works with you PAY HER just like any employee and charge accordingly.

To many idiots think having a wife /girl friend doing the billing is a gift and they do not compensate her or themselves for her time.

Always figure wear and tear and loss on equipment and set your profit level ABOVE your salary.

Give yourself a decent salary at least equil to the one your getting paid and figure in the benefits such as paid holidays, vacations and personal days and sick days.

Charge realistic prices that will allow you to live in the life style you want

Never be afraid to be high priced and if you bid jobs and get over 70% then your prices are to low.

I rather work a 20 hour week and get the same money as the plumber down the road who works 60 hour work weeks and makes the same I do working much less.

DROP accounts that take over 60 days to pay and adding interest is ok ALSO consider taking credit cards it is well worth the fee to have positive cash flow.

Many incompetent contractors work from their house and figure business rent is free. These are the true fly by nights that give handymen a bad name.

Think of it as car dealerships ..decide if would you want to be a cheap import or a Bentley ... Charging low prices makes you a thief as your robbing yourself and your family of a better life.

If you have a fear of charging a lot then being self employed is not for you.

Sponsored Links
Back