A question for self employed electricians.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been a sparky for 20 years but have never been self employed. When asked to do private work I usually charge just a few quid more than my normal hourly pay (which is currently around the JIB rate). I have been thinking recently of starting up on my own and it has occurred to me that I don't have a clue what hourly rate electrical contractors charge. I know that my employer would not want to tell me. I would suppose that the rates differ around the country, I am in the south east about an hour from London. Its Part P that has prompted me to contemplate self employment because it limits my freedom to carry out my trade as and when I like.....but I guess thats for another forum!

So can any self employed sparkies give a figure as to what I should charge for say, a domestic job that would last a day?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
job is irelevant.

you have to work out what money you need

eg cost of
transport (to buy vehicle and run it)
materials
acountant
m phone
advertising (all forms)
Tax man
vat man
your houly rate
premises
rental of premises

These things are all pretty much constants. And I would need to remain competitive. If a customer asked for a quote I would need to provide an hourly rate plus materials. I could pull a figure out of the air say £25/ hour? too much? too little?

prydien said:
These things are all pretty much constants. And I would need to remain competitive. If a customer asked for a quote I would need to provide an hourly rate plus materials. I could pull a figure out of the air say £25/ hour? too much? too little?

as i said, it depends on things i have mentioned.

try this then

you quote for a job @ £25/ hr, job takes 4 hrs 4 x 25 = 100

it takes you half an hour to get there, but 1 hour to get back (traffic)

that is 4 hours working,
1 1/2 hours travelling

5 1/2h hours of an assumed 8 hour day used, i didn't mention lunch, (say 30 mins) or going to wholesalers to get kit required for job, or cost of your time to quote job in the first place

could you get by on £100/ day and pay taxman, van etc?

I also do not agree with your statement
These things are all pretty much constants
since distance traveled / time to get there is not a constnat unless you go to same place, same way, same time each day,

you may think i am picky, but it really must be taken into consideration

you must also remember these are my thoughts / opinions others may have a differnt view

Sponsored Links
Rates vary according to location and nature of work (wraggling as opposed to plasterboard etc)

Also customers attitude (i am being serious) - if someone is polite and decent and even offers a cuppa the quote drops a bit, likewise if they are arrogant or the house is really cluttered (i have been in some houses you could stir the furnature with a spoon) the price goes up

also location, parking etc is a factor.

Generally the industry chargable rate is £25-£45 per hour, you decide.

prydien said:

In your neck of the woods £25/ hour might not be enough, where I live it would be too much even for non VAT registered trades.
Also do you include travelling time in that rate or charge site time only.
Also visits to suppliers - under what circumstances is that charegable or not?

Hope this helps

baldelectrician said:
Also customers attitude (i am being serious) - if someone is polite and decent and even offers a cuppa the quote drops

Cheers. That made me laugh. Not being self employed the most I can get away with is not sweeping up quite so thoroughly if I don't get a cuppa!
I'll probably be back to ask more questions if I get things underway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back