Going Self Employed

If you are altering or adding to an existing circuit in an area that is not under the banner of notifiable work. You can either issue a MWC or an EIC.
The minor work cert is easier to complete though but either is acceptable.
You then hand the original to the client/customer/person ordering the work and keep a copy for yourself.
If you are with a scheme provider and the installation required an EIC, you then inform your scheme provider, who in turn inform building controls and send out a letter to the client informing them that the work has been registered.

Sponsored Links
Yes, of course. You should test and certificate all electrical work.
CERTIFICATION is a separate activity to NOTIFICATION.

What stops (or should stop) anyone (such as a builder for example) doing some non notifiable work, and then filling in a MW or EIC form and giving it to the customer? Do you need to have the 2391 to issue one, or is it down to being competant?

Sorry if this should be common knowlege to me, but I have never been involved really with the admin stuff, I fill in a certificate and hand it into our office staff!

Sponsored Links
Don't bother with spending a load of money on paper, yell or magazine advertisement , networking is also a good way of getting work, join some social groups and let them get to know what you do.
And when you start to get jobs, keep your eyes peeled for evidence that your customer is a member of something (don't rummage through their paperwork though). Often clubs/societies have newsletters that take adverts, as do churches.

What stops (or should stop) anyone (such as a builder for example) doing some non notifiable work, and then filling in a MW or EIC form and giving it to the customer?
Nothing (and that's wrong).

Do you need to have the 2391 to issue one, or is it down to being competant?
You don't need any qualifications to issue an EIC - not even 2382, let alone 2391.

Anyone can download blanks from the IET website, buy blank ones, or roll their own, fill them in and sign the declaration.

Whether one issued by someone without qualifications and competence is worth anything is a different story...

Thanks BAN, interesting. So really I could be doing more private work for joe bloggs, and be issuing certificates for it. I guess anyone who does private work have there own PL insurance. Anything else to consider before hand? (Before doing more private work, not before going self employed!)

Contracts of work.
Some people either just don't want to pay you or think stuff can either be added or changed and the price does not alter :evil:
You may also want to consider getting a PLI that also includes "Professional Indemnity" if you going to be giving professional advice out.

Another point. Notifiable work is anything in a kitchen among other places.. But changing like for like is not notifiable. So is replacing a socket in a kitchen like for like notifiable?

Would adding RCD protection to a circuit be notifiable? Cheers Chris

Another point. Notifiable work is anything in a kitchen among other places..
No - it is not anything in a kitchen etc.

But changing like for like is not notifiable. So is replacing a socket in a kitchen like for like notifiable?
The law does not make any mention of "like for like". That is a phrase which has been dreamed up.

Would adding RCD protection to a circuit be notifiable? Cheers Chris
That would depend on how you did it.

Read Schedule 4. You start at the top with the position that the work is notifiable, because that's how the law works - it does not define what is notifiable, it defines what is not.

Read down the list - if you find a match, stop - the work is not notifiable.

If you reach the end without finding a match then the work remains notifiable.

Anyone know the fee's to join Napit? Looked on their website but doesnt seem to say? Personally I prefer NIC but if I was to join Napit before going self employed (should it happen) then I could start doing more private work? I understand Napit are cheaper than NIC?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back