Who would consider a career change?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some background info. Been working with my current employer for the last 9 years did my apprenticeship with them. So fully qualified electrician. Basically the firm I work for pay well (best in the area) but sometimes there lack of trust and low moral amongst management and us is pretty depressing. I know at the moment is not a good time to consider going self employed but recently I have been seriously tempted! Theres a few options as I am pretty handy with plumbing And carpentry and tiling etc so could advertise kitchen and bathrooms refits etc but don't actually have any qualifications to back this up. Sometimes I think I don't want to be doing this job all my life crawling through lofts etc but then if I worked for my self perhaps that may be different?! What do you guys think? Is it a job for life these days?!

Sponsored Links
I would not advise it in the current economic situation -

especially if you have a well paid job.

I would not advise it in the current economic situation -

especially if you have a well paid job.

I started my own business 4 years ago and have not looked back. I threw loads at advertising and was busy for periods and then had blank times. i have now cut back on adverts as i get recommendations from work well done and even though some frown upon it, i use social media for many referals. No job is for life, if you are ambitious enough to do something about it.

So, i would advise it, if you you believe in your self.

Sponsored Links
Yes well done indeed! Being my own boss is certainly very appealing! I get fed up of making good money for my bosses! Could not having plumbing qualifications be a stumbling block on the kitchen / bathroom ideas? Or if you can do it, do qualifications not matter for simple jobs and not high pressure hws for example?

You want to add gas to your qualifications. Boiler faults are mainly electrical.

Rang one the other week about a boiler fix - he wanted £94 an hour. FFS.

I've been self employed for 15 months now. It's probably the worst time to set up in business at the moment, but I got so fed up where I was I had to leave. I figured I'd have a go on my own for 12 months and if things didn't work out, I'd find another firm or go on the agencies or whatever.

I've split my time probably 50 / 50 between my own private work and subcontracting to two other firms.

I've done a bit of everything to keep busy from commercial contracting on a £17M project, partial rewires, maintenence, extra sockets and lights, burglar alarms, a fire alarm, painting, digging drains, bathroom fitting, plastering, putting up shelves, putting up garden fences, moving a sky dish, and allsorts of other stuff inbetween.

I've managed to keep busy most days. Being versatile seems to help keep the work coming in.

I already had all my own tools, drills, testers etc and even a van towards the end, so my initial startup costs were pretty minimal. Don't forget you'll need to buy all this if you don't already have it. There are other costs too such as self certification membership, PL & PI insurance and accountant fees etc.

I've got a small advert up in my dad's shop, and that is the only advertising I've done. I have a few regular existing customers I've built up over the years, and the rest has just been through word of mouth.

If you go for it, make sure you've got some money saved in the bank. I would recommend 6 months wages.

It is hard work, and there's more worry and less security, but I have no regrets so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back