Considering a career change....advice apreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have been recently thinking about a change of profession, as I have reached a bit of a dead end in my current job. My dad and brother are both self employed plumbers and I like the flexibly that this kind of work gives them. As I think 3 plumbers would be a bit of a crowd I am considering the world of electrics, certainly they often have lots of trouble sorting electricians to wire up heating installations/showers etc...so I know there is some work out there :LOL:

I have done a bit of DIY electrics at my home and have found it pretty interesting, although I realise this is different to doing it full time! I have a degree and work as an engineer currently - my dad thinks I must be mad to want to get my hands dirty day in - day out, so I thought I might ask for some different advice.

My main problem is that I currently have a (big) mortgage to pay and my current job pays pretty well. My work would be flexible to me dropping down to 3 or 4 days a week to train and I could get by on the reduced money, but obviously I would need hands on experience too. I have heard about fast-track type courses, but these do not appear to be everyones cup of tea. And ultimately at some point I would have to give up on the security of my current job and go full time in my new career.

Has anyone done anything similar? What type of courses are the best to consider? And the big one......how long might someone embarking on training expect it to take before they can / could go self employed and work on their own...?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

Sponsored Links
2330 takes 3 years on evenings (2 ervenings a week=6 hours) and two years on day realease ( one day a week)

That's where you should start

2330 takes 3 years on evenings (2 ervenings a week=6 hours) and two years on day realease ( one day a week)

That's where you should start

It can be done in 42 weeks!! But you will need to be sh 1 t hot on electrical theory and Inspection & Testing, you might as well throw 17th Ed. on top!!!

Prentice is right thou, start with 2330, forget the 'fast track' stuff and try and get out with a sparky or an apprenticeship it will really help your development

Thanks for the replies.

I realise that an apprenticeship would have been the best thing to do....and if I was 18 again I would be signing up for one now....

I could easily do one day a week for 2 years, but with the remaining 4 days I would need to carry on with my current job to pay the bills.

Is it feasible to get 2230 while keeping my other job and would I be employable as a mate/labourer after completing this? Would I get paid more as a mate/laborour than on an apprenticeship.....and how many years might it be until I could go out on my own (I guess this depends to some extent on how fast I learn....?)

Basically I'm trying to have my cake and eat it - keep my current job while making a gradual transition to a new trade....

Sponsored Links
Don't know where you are in the UK.

I agree 2330 is the best starting block. Many colleges do this as a 3-year course one day a week (to fit in with apprenticeships). That would suit your 4-day week 'earner'
Or they do the same course two evenings a week.

Thats what I did in days of yore (the course was the 2360 then).

Here's the course schedules from my local college for 2330
http://www.bracknell.ac.uk/course_search_results.aspx?sessioncode=CI6002

Try your local college website and see what they have, or go to the City & Guilds website and type in 2330. That will give you a list of the centres that run the course.

When I did my course, I was working full time and taking two 3 hour evening classes a week. Within 7 months I was qualified (because I took the Part 1 and Part 2 exams at the same time) and I didn't need to take time off work. But as said, you need to know a fair bit beforehand if you are going to fast track.

Thanks everyone...A bit of an update on this.
I went down to the local college open day. The lecturer suggested C&G 2330 and it turns out they do it as an evening course, so although it would take a year longer that way I would be able to work in my paid job full time....or work in my paid job part time and try and get some part time work experience.
The bad news is that the course is full and they are not recruiting for next years until next may. I am down as a reserve in case anyone doesnt turn up, I guess there is a chance of this with the recession and firms having to cut down on training budgets etc..

Sorry to hear that, most courses are starting in Sept, much like the Schools.
The first couple of evenings are normally inductions rather than course-work. So I'd pester them to see if someone has dropped rather than wait for the call. Because it is likely you have missed very little other than where the canteen is and the tutors name. Even though the canteen is an important miss ;)

is 2330 harder than 236 then?
I did 236 parts 1 and 2 in one year..
does 2330 include the part c stuff as well?

2330 covers building and structures, if you mean by part c as fault finding and circuit tracing the third year covers that or should I say the level 3 stuff, it could be your second year if day release.

The 2330 is definatley where you want to be starting off, it will give you a basis of electrical knowledge to build apon... unfortunatley anyone can learn theory and pass tests, its the practical ability which will get you to where you want to be. most 2330 courses futher on will also require, Practical proof of ability, this is on the NVQ side. This will mean across the period in which you are studying your 2330 you will have to build up a good practical ability, so that when the time comes. you are able to show an on site assesor that you are able to work saftley and Compitently. also by taking the 2330 you give yourself 2 "branches" of electrical to choose from. Buildings and installations. or inspection and testing. alternativeley. take the installations "branch" and at a later date take the seperate 2391 inspection and testing course. this will give you a wider scope of electrical ability.

as for the way to achieve your qualifications.
you have a few options.

Companies such as OLCI construction training offer a 2330, level 2 and 3 nvq cert. this is a "fast track" open university course. that will require you to study 2x 500ish page folders from home. and spend approximatley 25-30 days at one of their centres for practical training and online tests. if your a fast learner this is a good option, which is achievable within a year. some electricians will argue it doesent make you a real electrician. but think of it as more of a gateway. to get your qualification to get into the industry so you can start the real learning.

then theres as people said evening classes, which i believe is across 3 years, this is good for people such as yourself already in a job, with the need to continue earning.

then obviously college which as far as i can see isnt an option to you.

i would suggest either get yourself a fast track course, if you believe youve got the patience to study, or if your in no real rush take evening classes, which will also be alot cheaper. fast track courses do offer payment options. but an electrical course will still cost you £5,500-£6,000 and even with a finance plan this is going to set you back £200-£250 a month.

I hope this information has helped.

jay

Jay,
Thanks for that informative post.

A couple of days after I last posted on this thread I got a call from the college as someone had not turned up for the night classes. I am now enrolled on 2330. It is two nights a week for 3hrs, one night practical and one night theory. I think it takes 2 years to get level 2 and level three is an extra year on top (although I'm not 100% on this as I wasn't there for the first week when all this was explained!)

So far it has been very straight forward. The theory has all been health and safety, which is fairly easy for me as my last place of work sent me on a week long IOSH course so I have covered most of it before.

I probably could have coped with one of the fast track courses, but doing it this way is only costing a few hundred pounds so I might as well take my time.

I've still not quite figured out how I would make the transition from my current job to being an electrician as I will obviously need to get some work experience at some point.....which will mean a big drop in money.

I would be interested to hear from anyone that has done something similar. In particular with regards to obtaining work experience, did they get paid for it, and how soon would you brave going it alone and working for yourself...?

Jay,

A couple of days after I last posted on this thread I got a call from the college as someone had not turned up for the night classes. I am now enrolled on 2330. It is two nights a week for 3hrs, one night practical and one night theory. I think it takes 2 years to get level 2 and level three is an extra year on top (although I'm not 100% on this as I wasn't there for the first week when all this was explained!)

So far it has been very straight forward. The theory has all been health and safety, which is fairly easy for me as my last place of work sent me on a week long IOSH course so I have covered most of it before.

I probably could have coped with one of the fast track courses, but doing it this way is only costing a few hundred pounds so I might as well take my time.

I've still not quite figured out how I would make the transition from my current job to being an electrician as I will obviously need to get some work experience at some point.....which will mean a big drop in money.

I would be interested to hear from anyone that has done something similar. In particular with regards to obtaining work experience, did they get paid for it, and how soon would you brave going it alone and working for yourself...?

Hi Dan

Up until June 2009 I worked in Telecoms for 9 yrs , in 2006 a friend of mine rewired our kitchen and for some reason I became really interested in Electrics , at the time my company had enrolled me onto a HNC in Telecommunications however half way through the course they dropped the Telecommunications unit and replaced it with Electrical Principles which for me was a stroke of luck as this unit and Engineering Science covered the theory side of Electrics which was a big benefit.. I used to work 4 days on 4 days off so on my 4 days off I used to help out my friend as he had recently gone self employed.. I enrolled onto the C and G 2330 level 2 and Level 3 + NVQ 2356 with OLCI , I maybe wouldnt have done this had I not gained experience from the HNC in Electrical theory however I felt confident that I could pick up the practical side of things during the sessions.

My old was job was well paid and with a biggish mortgage I couldnt afford to leave and attempt to get a job as an apprentice however there was always risk of redundancy so I took out cover and my plan was to get into Electrics if I was made redundant , I was made redundant at the end of June and Im now working as an adult trainee with a Commercial Electrical company whilst working towards my NVQ

So my advice is try and get some experience from somewhere , I had more joy with firms as they have a wider range of work i.e. hospitals, schools etc however if you see a 1 man band around then ask him if he would like some free labour

Jay,

Hi Dan

Up until June 2009 I worked in Telecoms for 9 yrs , in 2006 a friend of mine rewired our kitchen and for some reason I became really interested in Electrics , at the time my company had enrolled me onto a HNC in Telecommunications however half way through the course they dropped the Telecommunications unit and replaced it with Electrical Principles which for me was a stroke of luck as this unit and Engineering Science covered the theory side of Electrics which was a big benefit.. I used to work 4 days on 4 days off so on my 4 days off I used to help out my friend as he had recently gone self employed.. I enrolled onto the C and G 2330 level 2 and Level 3 + NVQ 2356 with OLCI , I maybe wouldnt have done this had I not gained experience from the HNC in Electrical theory however I felt confident that I could pick up the practical side of things during the sessions.

My old was job was well paid and with a biggish mortgage I couldnt afford to leave and attempt to get a job as an apprentice however there was always risk of redundancy so I took out cover and my plan was to get into Electrics if I was made redundant , I was made redundant at the end of June and Im now working as an adult trainee with a Commercial Electrical company whilst working towards my NVQ

So my advice is try and get some experience from somewhere , I had more joy with firms as they have a wider range of work i.e. hospitals, schools etc however if you see a 1 man band around then ask him if he would like some free labour

I didnt get paid mate but it wasnt about the money for me as I had a job at the time , it was about getting the experience

In ref to going out on your own thats down to the individual , for me its not something I have considered as I feel you need lots of day to day experience , my friend who is 28 went self emplyed at 26 but he had been a spark since college , worked for 3 firms and was an experienced inspector and tester

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back